Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Design project...Bed for night tables Opinions Please!

Dave,

Thanks great drawing...is that Sketch-up? It is very helpful and Jamie has really god ideas as well. I am kind of thinking to move the rear sleigh legs to the far edge and "cap off" the stave lay-up...I could catch it in a rabbet. That way it would be more solid looking...but I am still debating. What is SKP?
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-09-2004 at 2:38 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Scott,

You missed the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...tid=8807&stc=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Nice design, I'm kin of struggling with the wide legs towards the headboard end and the very narrow legs at the foot. Also, what about the bootm being flat no side boards? I do like the idea of bringing steel into the headboard side to tie in. Can we get a pic of the night stands?

Scott, I agree with you regarding the smaller feet at the foot of the bed. I'm also wondering about doing tubular feet to go with the nightstands. (BTW, Scott, the picture of the nightstand is linked in Mark's first post.)

I didn't draw it but I'm thing dovetails or box joints (can't tell which in the photo) should be carried to the bed rails at the corners.

Mark, you're welcome for the drawing. It is SketchUp. SKP is the SketchUp file of the drawing. I was thinking you have SketchUp. Maybe I'm wrong?

Mark...I think the colaborative work so far is outstanding. It think it would be helpful to see some additional rotational views of Dave's rendering to better understand the dynamics of the piece from other angles. That would allow you to see if you really want to push the rear "legs" out to the edge or keep them inset.

But in general, I think this adaptation of the sleigh bed style would be perfect for the space and it still echos, to a certain extent, the feeling that you MBR has even though the tables are separate rather than integral to the unit. It may be good to not exagerate the "swoop" on the headboard too much since the tables are pretty simple and angular. Too much curve and they might look uncomfortable together. I'm also trying to brainstorm a way to carry just a little SS to the headboard to tie things together when the foot-end legs are not visible...

---
    Dave, I've been trying to entice Mark to SketchUp!, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Dave , Jamie and Ray have really made me think...we have a lot of great designers and minds and the drawings are terrific! The front or side view would ve helpful. I am not too keen on showing the thinness of the back...I would rather let the curved leg graciously come to the ground with substance and the actuall back can be raised up as Jamie and Dave suggested.
    Now guys...you must admit we are in uncharted waters...this design does not exist and we already have a good sence of scale and proportion. It is not all that hard to do something original....my back pocket (that I used to carry my sketch around in) just got bigger! Your all in it! and I really appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I am not too keen on showing the thinness of the back...I would rather let the curved leg graciously come to the ground with substance and the actuall back can be raised up as Jamie and Dave suggested.
    Agree...that would restore the "signature" feature of the sleigh bed design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Mark...It think it would be helpful to see some additional rotational views of Dave's rendering to better understand the dynamics of the piece from other angles. That would allow you to see if you really want to push the rear "legs" out to the edge or keep them inset.....
    ---
    Dave, I've been trying to entice Mark to SketchUp!, too...
    Sketchup makes a free viewer. If you (Mark) would download it, Dave could send you the 3D file instead of the simple jpeg he posted. The cool thing about the 3D file is that you get to rotate it around and look at it from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Sketchup makes a free viewer. If you (Mark) would download it, Dave could send you the 3D file instead of the simple jpeg he posted. The cool thing about the 3D file is that you get to rotate it around and look at it from all angles.
    http://sketchup.com/viewer/ is the link for the viewer. And Mark, that would also make "our other" conversation more interesting!

Mark, I'm happy to help. Download that free viewer so I can send you the model. Then you can look at it from all sides.

Right now I'm making so modifications. I'll post a shot soon.

OK, yep plain missed that one.

After looking at it, I am still concerned about the back. I know it's not original, but I have seen a version where the back is not curved. Mark you have obviously spent more time with deisgns and when to include curves or something different and when not to, but my gut says they don't match... just one view though. You know me I like curves.

I attached a word file since I don't have that great drawing program.

Ok that didn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott Coffelt; 12-09-2004 at 4:13 PM.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Not purdy and kind of lost some of the design but my basic point got across.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Here's the first revision, Mark.

Okay guys ,

I downloaded it...now what? Keep in mind I am computer dumb!!! Its on my desl top...is Dave going to email me the file? Mark@marksingerarchitects.com
    Thanks

Scott,

Cool bed! But but it is different than the design intent....I think the materials and front will help visually conect to the nightsands.