Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please, Help buying a new truck

Please, Help buying a new truck

I have spent the last couple of months researching a new vehicle. I am a big vehicle lover and I want alot of bells and whistles without spending a fortune . I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Ford F-150 Platinum or a Dodge 1500 Laramie.
    I do not need to tow or haul a whole lot, but have to have 4X4, leather, back up camera, as I said all/most of the bells and whistles.

Which would you buy and why?
    Lori K

I would be hard pressed not to have the Tundra on my short list of ONE.

I've got the F150 in 2WD with XLT trim. Hands down best vehicle I've ever owned or rented. I could have bought either a 4WD without many bells/whistles, a 2WD crew cab the same way, or a 2WD Supercab with Sync, integrated trailer brake contrlol, etc. I wish I had the rear camera but don't Same with leather. I've got the 4.6 and its more than powerful enough to tow our 3000lb camper up to Maine last year.

When you get it, get the bed sprayed with liner (I have Rhino which I liked because it didn't need to cure overnight due to being a hot spray process.) And if you are thinking of a tonneau, consider the Bakflip. I've had mine for a little over a year now and its much better than the soft covers I've had in the past and have had numerous occasions where a conventional 1 piece hard cover would have caused problems. Incidentally, Ford specified the Bakflip as an OEM part on the Harley Edition F-series a couple years ago and the manufactuer made some improvements to meet Fords durability test requirements.

My completely unbiased opinion is that you should go with the Ram Laramie 1500....(the fact that I'm a Chrysler retiree has nothing to do with it ).

That being said, a few years ago I convinced my then DIL-to-be - who came from a long family line of Ford truck owners - to test drive a Dodge 1500 w/ the Hemi engine. She decided to go with the Hemi. When her lease expired, she re-upped for a second Hemi. (Note: she had access to "Friends" lease price for either the Ford or Dodge so there was no special price advantage.)

Sounds like her vehicle desires are similar to yours, although she and my son pull a boat/snowmobiles from time-to-time.

Frankly, either truck should serve you well.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Blog Entries
    I have a 2010 F150 Lariat with all the bells and whistles and I love it. I am a long time F series driver (started when they were F100s) and I have never had a problem with them.

BTW, as near as I can tell, the difference between a Lariat and Platinum is that the bells and whistles are options on Lariat and stanadard on Platinum and you get a few extras on the Platinum. I would look for a loaded up Lariat - price difference is about $4K and I don't know what else I could get that would add up to $4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    I do not need to tow or haul a whole lot, but have to have 4X4, leather, back up camera, as I said all/most of the bells and whistles.

Which would you buy and why?
    Ridgeline XLT w/Navi would have all you need/want in a ready package. By the time you add all those "necessities" all the rest will be in the same price range. If you can live with 5' long bed and truck bed cargo trunk and don't mind being able to haul only 1500lb worth of 4x8' plywood, you'll have a "car like" comfortable "truck". I have a 2007 and waiting the delivery of 2011 this week. I transport motorcycle, drive 700 miles in one day loaded, have room for the dog on the back seat, move 1/2 yard stone dust, dirt, mulch, top soil... I mean I use it like a "truck".

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    I would be hard pressed not to have the Tundra on my short list of ONE.
    I have a 2007 Tundra. While I love the truck, it sat in the shop for 2.5 months while waiting for air intake valves and regulators. Why so long of a wait? Apparently the problem was widespread and wasn't part of a recall, so there was a 10 week backorder. Toyota was so inundated that they fixed the $4000 problem for free as so many customers were complaining. Got to give them credit for that as the truck is out of warranty.

I love the truck when it's running well. But the notion that Toyota is still making the most dependable vehicles is over.

Which truck is best can open up a whole box of opinions like which router/saw etc. is best. Since any new truck is a huge investment, take opinion out of the equation and look at published data. Ford sales are increasing (they did not take a bail out, good press, etc.) Dodge sales are not. Toyota sales took a big hit because of brake problems, Tundra rust outs, Lexus engine failures, etc. As a result resale values of those vehicles has changed accordingly (Ford up, others down) based on current Kelley Blue book and NADA values. Ford future viability as a manufacturer looking very strong based on recent profits, sales, quality ratings, etc. Chrysler/Fiat/US Government alliance still fuzzy for long term. (based on Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Forbes, etc.) Consumer Reports rates Ford products at the top, Chrysler overall came in dead last. All this equates to better return for your money with the Ford. They both look good, drive good and will do the job you want to do. One just appears to be a better investment. No affiliation with Ford and don't own one. Just my 2 cents.

I'd go with Ford too. I have the smaller cousin, a 2007 Ranger and love it,
    no problems since late 2006 when I bought it. We also have a 2002 Jeep liberty (Chrysler product) which has been OK, but not as trouble-free, and it took several tries to find a service department that didn't try to rip us off or just did poor (even dangerous) work.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Last month I bought a 2010 Nissan Titan. For the same bells and whistles it is thousands cheaper than the Ford F-150 I was considering.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Thanks for all the replies. Even though I asked for opinions, I will not necessarily buy the most popular. I listen to the reasons given and will also take into consideration the reviews mentioned.
    Thank you all.

Oh... my husband thought maybe a Tahoe/Yukon would be easier for me to drive because they are shorter vehicles. Just what I needed ... something else thrown into the mix.
    Lori K

Lori, in the past ten years my wife and I have driven Yukon's, Excursions, Ford trucks, and my in-laws have driven the Dodge Ram.

I prefer the Ford over the Dodge, because my experience has been that the Dodge's will develop some squeaks and small, irritating problems over time, that we have not experienced with the Fords or Yukon. Our '03 Excursion has 130K+ miles on it and still rides quiet and smooth (and the diesel gets 20mpg on the highway).

I also like the fact that Ford opted not to accept any Govt bailout $, and were able to return their company to profittability w/o taxpayer assistance. That says a lot to me and I like to spend my $ with a company that is managing itself well.

A friend of mine has a Platinum F150, and loves it. I have an '08 King Ranch pickup, and I really like it a lot.

At the end of the day, they are both probably good choices.

I am a dodge fan for many reasons. I suggest the Dodge over the ford. The reasons: HEMI motor, more horsepower and torque, and better fuel economy, ford does not have a MDS system in the F-150's. The dodge will have better resale value when it comes time to trade. The dodge has a better powertrain and equal bumper to bumper warranties. The 545RFE tranny in the dodge is bullet proof. And Lastly as part of my job I see many more engine issues with fords (timing chain tensioners) than with dodges.

I have had three Ford trucks and one Dodge truck. Guess which I like better? I no longer have a truck at all since I switched to a motorhome.

A huge reason I got rid of the Dodge was because of the stupid quad cab. That back seat had zero room and the seat back was practically at a right angle. A real crew cab has plenty of rear seat room. Another thing I didn't like about my 2003 Dodge was the wind noise. The doors flexed so much I could feel them moving in and out which let in outside air.

These may be things of the past as Dodge now has a real crew cab and the doors may be better too.

You can have problems with any brand.

I once owned a Doge in the 80's. That truck left me stranded along the road half dozen times with electrical problems. The transmission was always slipping but dealer said they could not find a problem. Got rid of that truck at 64K miles and was glad to see it go.
    Purchased a 1997 F150. That year V6 had a major problem with the engine. Had to replace that engine at 74K miles. (my expense $4K ) That being said it is my favorite truck. Never has left me stranded. Dispointed in Ford. They knew they had a bad engine but did nothing about it. I still drive that truck because I love it so much.

A word about Toyota, I had a friend that had a Toyota car and the engine went bad out of warranty just like my truck. Toyota replaced the engine FREE! because they said that should have never happed.
    I love my FORD but will look at Toyota next time to see what they offer. But most likely buy another FORD,
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-26-2010 at 6:33 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale