Thread: Convert Xenetech to G-code?

Convert Xenetech to G-code?

Hello Everyone,
    Originally posted in engraving forum & Larry suggested it was more a CNC question. Here goes...
    I have "inherited" a Xenetech 13x13 model table, with all the trimmings. This machine is in perfect operating condition, running on an old PII box with the long 16 bit ISA card. Thing is, I don't wish to use it for engraving, but rather to run in a CNC type of setup. Has any one got a schematic of the APU card and the MPU? (XT-100). The step motor drives in the MPU are made by IMS, now Schneider. They are very similar to their IM805 drive, but with different pins.
    I want to eliminate the APU board, and connect via printer port using TurboCNC. If I can manage this, I'll have an APU card for sale for anyone needing one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gerald Wubs

Well, it's up and running Mach3! Fitting up the spindle with a collet now. I'm very impressed with the machine, I can jog in .0003" steps, so I'm thinking ±.002" overall tolerances on parts should be possible. Thanks to brother Len for all his hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Wubs View Post
    Well, it's up and running Mach3! Fitting up the spindle with a collet now. I'm very impressed with the machine, I can jog in .0003" steps, so I'm thinking ±.002" overall tolerances on parts should be possible. Thanks to brother Len for all his hard work!

Gerald we would love to see pics of your machine and work you do with it.
    What parts did you end up using to do the upfit to a Mach 3?
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Joey, I'll certainly post some pictures when I start cutting material. We had to make a patch cable to connect to the stepper drives in the Motor Power Unit. The hard part was tracing the circuits and figuring out which pins do what - thats where my brother came in. Now I've got to convert the top loading engraving spindle to a collet setup. Fortunately I can use the equipment at the machine shop I used to work for.
    Gerald

Sounds great Gerald, I hope you made you a pinout for future use.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

I was waiting for someone to ask. Yes I certainly do have the pins documented. I would have to post the usual disclaimers of responsibilty for whatever happens when the information is used, but I would be glad to share. I've benefitted tremendously from other people's work and knowledge posted on the net, and would love to pay something back again. It may be a few days before I can get stuff together though.
    Gerald

Hello Gerald,

I am going to buy one of this machines in about a week, but waiting to get this pinout as I want to use it with a modern PC and software. I will really appreciate if you can post the info ASAP.

Many thanks in advance
    Regards

Marcelo
    Last edited by Marcelo Chiesa; 10-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Marcelo, I can post the pinouts, there are a few things we're still working on - I have had some issues with interference from the spindle motor, but I'm getting that cleared up. Also, the steppers are warming up a bit after about 25 minutes. This is probably because the current reduction circuit is not working right now. You will need to make a DB37 patch cable from your LPT port to the MPU box. I'll post the pinouts on Wednesday. I do not have them in front of me right now, and I don't want to rush and make a mistake.
    Which software are you thinking of running? All the work we've done is with the intention to run G-code. Remember, I can not gaurentee that this will not blow up your rig, but it's working for me. Thanks for your interest.
    Gerald

Hi Marcelo, I am working on the pinout info, but need to be sure I'm putting it down right. I'll try to get this posted tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. Having some computer problems also
    Gerald

Well here it it is guys. This comes with all the usual disclaimers of course. If you have problems, don't call me. There, I'm done with that so, please find attached the pinout for the MPU end of the cable that will run to the computer printer port. Pins in for into printer port are according to your cnc software of choice, in my case Mach 3. All cables from xenetech need to be connected, set pendant stepper switch to locked to get the motors enabled.
    Gerald
    Attached Files Attached Files