Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to supply air for air assist

What do you use to supply air for air assist

I'm thinking of connecting up the air assist on my laser.

Can someone suggest what air supply I should use.

I thought the other day someone said they were using a compressor...

I have two available but thought I should find out what others are using.

I think iot will be handy when my laser is back in action...

Regards

Roy N.
    Roy N.
    from Birkdale on the Bay Brisbane, Australia
    Skype ID is roynicho

Windows XP...Gravograph LS 100 30 Watt...Corel Draw x4...Photoshop CS 3...GravoStyle 5
    and struggling with most of them...but enjoying it.

Hi Roy,

This is what I use, it is an oil-less, aquarium, piston pump, cheap as chips from China and despite all the bad reports of Chinese stuff this works extremely well and I am really pleased with it.

They are available on eBay in varying sizes with differing flow rates - take a look.

Paul.
    Last edited by paul mott; 06-29-2010 at 9:07 AM. Reason: added picture.

I use Porter Cable "Job Boss", 4.5 gallon air compressor. It may be overkill, but it doesn't have to run all the time. I had another one, a different brand, and it was just 2 or 3 months old when it slowly lost pressure and quit, during the middle of a vectoring job! Even over the noise of the laser and the exhaust, I was able to notice it and stop the laser. I try to pay attention to all the noises to make sure everything "sounds" right. We got the other one repaired, but since I "borrowed" the Porter Cable from my husband, I guess it's considered "mine" now?

Here's a recent thread on the same topic. There have been several others so a search would be worthwhile.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143177
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mine is a dual piston "medical style" that has very good strength for this purpose. The hiss from output of the nozzle is much more noise than the compressor running. It gets hot though and the tiny little air hose gets too hot to hold but that is probably normal for this kind of thing.

I always turn on my blowers and compressors before starting a job. I worry that the surge current needed to start compressors might be enough to electrically 'bump' the laser as it is drawing current too. I prefer to not use a compressor that will shut off and on while I am using the laser. Of course a nice 230V shop air system on a private circuit would mitigate any problems, but sharing a blower, compressor and high powered laser on a single 20A circuit could be cause for concern when the air is turning off and on and drastically changing the load.

Last edited by James Terry; 06-29-2010 at 2:03 PM.
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

something like this, but a tad bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Wouldn't an air pump be enough

I like the idea of an air pump. Piston powered even better.

cgi.ebay.com/Piston-Septic-Air-Pump-Aerator-70-lpm-AFFORDABLE-/330446650886?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item4cf027be06

And even bigger one:

cgi.ebay.com/Piston-Septic-Air-Pump-Aerator-110-lpm-AFFORDABLE-/380246651978?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item588877744a

It also has the same end (3/8") as the epliog Legend 24EX that I have.

Wouldn't this be enough for air assist? And you can use it for your septic tank and koi pond as well.

There are a lot of used Gast pumps including this one.
    cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130403927332&fromMakeT rack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:enWhat to do.....
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-30-2010 at 6:58 AM. Reason: removed links to ebay

Blog Entries
    I use a 33-gl Craftsman... noisy as a beast, and it takes 8 minutes to refill from empty, but I can get an hour of laser timer between refills using around 10psi.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan,
    The 10 PSI is that controlled at the laser or compressor.
    Also what size hose is connected to the compressor.
    Thank you, J. Flores
    Joe F.
    Graphtec FC 2230 Plotter
    Universal X-660 Laser

Blog Entries
    Since the laser dial is hard to get to, I set the dial at the laser for 10psi... that way I only have to open the flow at the compressor a "handful" of turns. The hose is a standard 3/4", 50' black rubber hose from Sears... very flexible, and at such a low pressure I don't worry about pressure loss due to hose flexure. It all runs to a moisture trap and dessicant unit just before entering the laser.

I used a big cast Iron shop compressor for a while. Could run a long time before it kicked in and refiled the tank.

I got back into woodworking so I needed my compressor back so I broke down and picked up the one sold by epilog. That is one nice little compressor. Its very quite and has lots of built-in protections. I wired a sensor to the air selonoid on my Epilog and only turns on when the laser turns on the air assist.

It puts out more than the 30PSI rated on the laser so I run it through a regulator and moisture seperator.

Works great but a little pricey.

A cheap compressor is probably right at hand.. Years ago, I pulled one out of a scrap household deep freezer.. They are designed to run long and fairly quiet. The one I scavenged, was fed into a small receiver (a old scuba tank), and used to run a air powered pop rivet gun.. Once, just for the heck of it, I wanted to know how much pressure it would produce, so I just let it run building up pressure in the tank (rated for a working pressure of 2250 psi). The Little freezer compressor got to 300 psi, before I chickened out, and pulled the plug. These compressors are a sealed unit, and I had no idea of what was inside the sealed domed case, so I figured I better not push it far enough to maybe explode..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I am using a Gast Compressor. The price was right. It was FREE ! Can not believe what some Aerospace companies literally throw away. The only thing wrong with it was a frayed cord.......oh well I am not complaining !

Only drawback is it has carbon vanes and you have to keep the little oil jar filled. Other than that its quiet and meant to be used continuous duty.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Blog Entries
    Anthony,

I assume you're using an oil trap somewhere on your line? Even with a trap, though, there is still a mist of fine oil droplets in the line... not something I'd want to chance with my optics.

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Something I have not considered. But so far its been pretty clean operating (2 years) The air goes through built in filters and then one of those desiccant filters. It has a clear chamber and I see no unusual oil marks in there so I am assuming any oil is staying inside the machine.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss ! :P
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........