Thread: Trimaster standard vs varitooth design--how different the cut?

Trimaster standard vs varitooth design--how different the cut?

The price difference between a 1" trimaster 3 tpi and the 1" 3/4 varitooth is close to $80. Does anyone have experience with the two blades who can describe the difference in performance between them?

Thanks,

Nelson

First, I have not used the Trimaster in a single pitch configuration BUT every blade I have used both in variable and single pitch the variable pitch seems to really shine the taller the resaw so it would always be my choice. At $80 difference think of it this way considering how much longer carbide tipped blades last it would be like paying an extra 4-5 bucks for a carbon blade. However, I would actually prefer the 2/3 pitch over the 3/4 pitch and that should drop the price difference to about $25-30. That price difference is all based on about a 16' band since thats where the price difference is about $80 between a 3 and 3/4 pitch from my supplier.

One other thing to add is I would consider the Laguna RK instead. I love the Trimaster but think the RK is as good or better AND I know it can be resharpened (3-4 times at $45 a shot) and I have yet to find or have anyone here mention anyone that can resharpen a Trimaster. The 1" RK is going to run about $75 more for a band in the 16-17' range but once it is sharpened once it has already saved you a good deal of money. The kerf is a little wider on the RK compared to the 1" Trimaster. Based on my guess of the band size you have a pretty big saw and I might suggest going with a 1 1/4" blade instead of a 1", one good thing is it doesn't cost more in the Laguna RK line.

Bottom line:

get the variable pitch if you can afford it

consider getting the 2/3 instead of the 3/4 pitch

consider the Laguna RK instead for long term economy

consider a 1 1/4" blade if you indeed do have a big saw

if your band isn't in the 16-17' range you might look for a cheaper supplier for the Trimaster

Thanks Van,

I just bought a used Agazzani B20. No manual, though I have one on order. The specs I can get off the internet list max blade width at 30 mm, which converts to just under 1 1/4". Length is 13 1/2 feet. I don't know whether I should run the full 1 1/4 or not. Would love to hear from other Agazzani B20 owners what they use.

I was also considering the Laguna RK, and the resharpenability was definitely a factor. I thought I'd heard a few complaints about the welds on those, and the initial investment seems a bit high. But I'd rather spend more now and do it right than spend more later and wish I hadn't.

Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    Thanks Van,

I just bought a used Agazzani B20. No manual, though I have one on order. The specs I can get off the internet list max blade width at 30 mm, which converts to just under 1 1/4". Length is 13 1/2 feet. I don't know whether I should run the full 1 1/4 or not. Would love to hear from other Agazzani B20 owners what they use.

I was also considering the Laguna RK, and the resharpenability was definitely a factor. I thought I'd heard a few complaints about the welds on those, and the initial investment seems a bit high. But I'd rather spend more now and do it right than spend more later and wish I hadn't.

Nelson
    Info from Jesse at Eagle says the B-20 is good from 1/4" to 1 1/4" for what its worth.

IF I could find a place that can resharpen a Trimaster I would be all over them but until then...

The vast majority of RK feedback is excellent, there are a LOT of RKs floating around here due to their sales here on the old stock.