Thread: Quickie saw benches

Quickie saw benches

Well, I'm doing more and more handsawing. At the very least, the breakdown of stock before moving it to the table saw. In the last year I picked up an A.C. Atkins 5-1/2pt rip and Diston D-8 11pt crosscut. While neither saw will win any beauty contests, they both work pretty well and I've learned a little bit about tuning up a saw.

To that end, I've been experimenting with making saw benches. Just some Douglas Fir and SPF mystery wood from the Borg. These are loosely based on the design I saw in one of Chris Schwarz's posts. Also I've looked at the benches Jr. has in his traveling shop. I more-or-less took the birds mouth design from his benches.

I've learned a few things already about what I like and don't like. I'm still making up my mind about the stretchers. So far they haven't been a problem for me. Gotten some feed back against their use and instead having legs M&T'd into the bottom side of the bench with a center T stretcher if needed.

Jr.'s bench doesn't have the long horizontal stretcher, instead I believe he has shorter stretchers forming an A-frame.

These were an 80/20 project, about 80% handtool and 20% power. I did all the cross cutting by hand and all the ripping by hand. However because my ripping skills are lacking (practice!) I decided to use the table saw to re-rip and bevel the sides of the benchtops to accept the legs. This was instead of letting in the legs so they were flush. But cutting the dados and joints was all hand work. Decided to use screws, as clamps while the liquid hide glue set, this time instead of pinning all the joints so cordless drill-driver for that but I drove all the screws with a Yankee twist driver.

A brace and bit was used for cutting the hole that makes up the back of the birds-mouth. Again, thanks Jr.

Fun, simple project and I learned a lot. Biggest tip was to mark-out all leg joinery from the FLOOR end of the leg. Duh! Of course that works better and makes it much more likely I'll have a level bench. Then all I had to do was trim away the excess at the top and plane flush. Worked slick, just wish my garage floor was as level as the table saw top...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Looks solid as Sears Rob. I'll take those failed designs for you, just to get them out of your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Looks solid as Sears Rob. I'll take those failed designs for you, just to get them out of your way.
    I'll be bringing them next HT SIG.

Do you use holdfasts Rob? If you do, you might find that holdfast holes in the saw benches come in pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Easton View Post
    Do you use holdfasts Rob? If you do, you might find that holdfast holes in the saw benches come in pretty handy.
    I haven't drilled the holes yet. I should be on Jr.'s list for the next batch.

Its easy and benificial to make Saw Tables into Chair makers benches, too.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Nice Rob. I've built one of Chris's and need to build a second one. I may steal your plan.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Its easy and benificial to make Saw Tables into Chair makers benches, too.
    Added to the TODO list...