Thread: Jet 8" Benchtop Jointer/Planer Combo

Question Jet 8" Benchtop Jointer/Planer Combo

I have been looking at this machine, but the reviews are very mixed. I've seen some videos on youtube and it seems to work well. I am a hobbyist and college student on a limited budget, with even more limited space. I understand the tables are what seems to be cast aluminum and the machine is not that heavy, and the fence doesn't adjust. But, would it suit the needs of someone who is not planning on runnnig hundreds of board feet at a time, and mostly woods such as cedar, oak, pine, poplar, and maple through it? Does anyone have any experience with this model? There's no way I can spend upwards of $800 for seperate machines and the used market in my area is not that good. Thanks.

Jet JJP-8BT 8 Inch Bench Top Jointer/Planer

I purchased the 10 inch model from CPO Jet tools for the reasons you mentioned. The first one arrived and I spent some time assembling my new toy. When I tried to joint the first board, I realized that the two tables were not co-planer. This is something that I should be able to adjust, but there were no instructions in the manual so I attempted to "fix it so it works, or it never works again."

While attempting the fix, I realized that neither the tables were true. One table was cupped, and the other was crowned. Both curves were almost 1/8 inch over the 10 inch span. CPO Jet sent a replacement. Two days later when I unpacked the next machine, the replacement had the same issue.

I might reconsider this tool if I could purchase the tool locally and could check the flatness of the tables before I take it home.

I set up a 10" machine for a friend. It took some work (coplaner tables and the knives gave me a few fits) but I got it to work fairly well. His now works at least as well as the price. If you take your time and have the proper set-up tools (that is often an issue, how do you set tables coplaner without a good straight edge) it is something you can get by with, BUT don't expect to joint much longer than 5' boards without some sort of infeed/outfeed setup.

Blog Entries
    I have one and it can be made to work.Lately though I have taken up hand jointing. The jointer is my least favorite of the power tools though I feel very comfortable with all the other ones. They'll never take my table saw!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I bought one at Christmas, and by New Years I was ready to leave it in the driveway for anyone who wanted it. I ended up selling it on CL for $150.

Mine had a chip in one of the blades when I bought it. The tables were not even close to coplanar and after about 5 hours of messing with it I just decided to bit the bullet and buy dedicated separate machines.

If you buy, I hope you have better luck than I did.

I have the 10" version as well, once I replaced the blades (originals arrived chipped) I was happy with the results. Sounds like you aren't expecting too much out of it so I don't think you will be too disappointed. I already had a Dewalt planer when I bought mine, so all I had planned on using it for was the jointer. The only time I have found it under-powered was jointing 8" wide maple- lighter cuts help.

On a side note, I checked out a listing on CL last weekend for a jointer and will be picking it up tomorrow. If you are set on the Jet combo machine and are interested in a used 10" machine, PM me and we can talk.

I also bought the 10" version and have been happy with it. I use both a planer and jointer seldom so it suits my needs. I have seen two of the 10" on craigslist for third less than new.

Craig

I saw an 8 or 10 inch model at Performance Line Tools in Waterford, MI and thought it looked like a toy. I think you have to get to the 12 inch model to get something that will work OK, but I haven't seen one of those up close. For ~$600-800 you can get a 6 inch jointer and lunch box planer that would produce better results. IMO.
    Gary

Thanks for all the input, as much as I don't want to, seeing as I'd like to start making things and stop spending all my money on tools, I think I'm going to go with seperate, dedicated machines. All the problems with the combo machine sound like more of a pain than it's worth to save a couple hundred dollars. I've been looking at the Grizzly G064 6" jointer w/ mobile base. I know it's not eight inches, but for space and use, it fits the bill. I've also had my eye on the Craftsman 12 1/2" planer. I'm sure these will handle my needs. Any opinons? (Keeping in mind this is already over my budget).

I'm not sure what that Griz jointer costs and if you have to have it shipped or not. But in comparison the Ridgid jointer at HD gets all sorts of good reveiws as well and may save you money if shipping is an issue. I also think that the Ridgid planer is a great machine for the $. I own the newest model and has worked beautifully for me. But then you're looking at having a shop full of orange and giving your money over to Home Dumpot. I don't really like supporting them much but I just think those two items are great machines for their costs. Worth a look anyways.

I was strongly considering the 8" Jet combo machine before lucking out on HD clearances on the Ridgid jointer and the Dewalt planer.

I would look long and hard for any remaining Ridgid jointers on clearance. At $199 they were a steal. I saw one in my area as recently as last month.

Also, why not buy used? You could save $100-$200 on your jointer by doing that. PLENTY of 6" jointers on CL. Come to think of it, unless you luck out on some kind of clearance on the 6" jointer like I did, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a brand new 6" jointer. Seems like folks quickly end up upgrading to a 8" down the road anyways, so might as well save a little bit on your initial purchase without sacrificing the quality of the machine.

Not sure how much the Craftsman planer costs, but some HDs have started clearancing out the Ridgid planer @ $299, which gets good reviews. With a HF coupon you might be able to get it for even less.
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 04-08-2010 at 4:33 PM.

Well, it seems that fate has dictated my final decision. On Victor's comment I headed over to my local HD and lo and behold the Ridgid jointer was on clearance marked down to $299 from $430 and with opening a credit card account I got 10% off and walked out at $285 total. Not too bad I don't think :-) I tried to talk them down, but being recently reduced they said they wouldn't move on the price for 3 weeks and seeing as it was the last one I couldn't take the chance on waiting. Thanks for all the input and happy woodworking.

Nice! That earns me a beer next time I visit MI, right? Congrats, enjoy your new jointer.

Haha, with what I saved you can have two! Thanks again.