Thread: Question on SN2

Question Question on SN2

I just reveived my SN2 chuck and teknatool insert from Woodcraft. I was assembling the insert into the body and noticed the insert bottoms out in the chuck before the hex shoulder rests on the inside of the chuck, Is this normal or is the insert machined wrong? Grub screws are not installed yet.

Thanks,
    Larry

That's normal Larry. I saw that when I first got mine.
    Charlie

Thanks Charlie, i appreciate the fast response.

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.

SN2 Insert

Larry,
    Charlie's right....mine is the same way. It's no problem, but be advised that the insert can still be poorly machined. When I bought my insert and SN2 (from Woodcraft) I was too much of a Newbie to realize that I had a case of significant run-out with the chuck. When I bought my Vicmarc chuck, I suddenly realized that I had been struggling for a very long time with the SN2.
    I had the chuck and insert with me at the Utah Symposium last year and took it into Craft Supplies and they tested and verified the faulty insert. I appreciate CS USA for doing this and Woodcraft for replacing the insert long after the fact. The replacement has the chuck performing like a champ. Live and learn I guess..... You'll like the chuck.

Randy

While I have never seen it available here in the states, I purchased my SN2 from a Canadian vendor and was able to get a version of the chuck that is tapped for 1 ¼ x 8. No runout! I had a small amount with my old G3 and insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Hansen View Post
    While I have never seen it available here in the states, I purchased my SN2 from a Canadian vendor and was able to get a version of the chuck that is tapped for 1 ¼ x 8. No runout! I had a small amount with my old G3 and insert.
    Derek...

I'd like to get info on where I might get a 1.25 x 8 tapped SN2 chuck. Do you have contact information?

...Bob

http://www.kmstools.com/

They have the SN2 with insert (or direct tap) and free 3" bowl jaws for $189 CAD right now. If I remember correctly the shipping was ~$10.

I had no idea it existed until the guy taking my order over the phone asked me what type of lathe I had and offered it to me - I haven't seen mention of this particular size anywhere in Teknatool's documentation.
    Last edited by Derek Hansen; 03-26-2010 at 4:29 PM.

Derek, I browsed the tool site and found the SN2, but they seem to only list the choices of inserts, I could not find a choice for a direct tapped SN2 with 1.25x8. Am I missing something? Should I call them?
    Fred

I just received my SN2 and installed it last night. I had to buy the insert separately to go in the chuck.

Derek, it sounds like they installed the insert in the chuck before they sent it to you.

I got mine from Woodcraft on sale for $119 and free shipping. The insert was another $23. They have them on sale through tomorrow, I beleive.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have one of the direct-threaded 1 1/4x8 SN2s. I think they were a special production run that the guy in B.C. had a small supply of. The chuck is quite a bit shorter (measured from the headstock bearing) than those that are equipped with an insert. There is almost no radial runout on mine.

The only caution folks need to know about is that you need to remove the chuck with a strap wrench, since there's no place to apply a wrench. I use a nylon washer between the chuck and spindle bearing to make removal easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I just received my SN2 and installed it last night. I had to buy the insert separately to go in the chuck.

Derek, it sounds like they installed the insert in the chuck before they sent it to you.

I got mine from Woodcraft on sale for $119 and free shipping. The insert was another $23. They have them on sale through tomorrow, I beleive.
    Nope it's direct tapped. I was offered it over the phone - Jim may be right though about it being a limited production run. That would explain why I've never seen anything about it in the Teknatool literature.

Flat Files 013.jpg