Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielson Toolsworks Handtool Event in Kansas City

Lie-Nielson Toolsworks Handtool Event in Kansas City

http://kcwoodworkersguild.org/Events...tm#Lie-Neilsen

Its getting closer and closer! March 26th and 27th!

SMC's very own Jr. Strasil will be there too.

Rob
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Can't wait, hope they don't take credit cards!

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    Can't wait, hope they don't take credit cards!
    I went to the one last weekend in Minneapolis. My suggestion is that you bring the amount of money you are willing to part with in cash and leave your credit cards, debit card, and check book at home. Otherwise, here will be the likely sequence of feelings your trip will elicit from your spouse when you get home.

when you tell her how much you spent
    after it sinks in
    after she's had a few hours to let it boil

I was proud of myself for limiting my spending to $175. My wife for some reason didn't see it from the same perspective as myself.

You should have told her how much you saved, not how much you spent.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    You should have told her how much you saved, not how much you spent.
    LOL! You are correct of course, that would have been the better approach. I bought a tite-mark and some accessories, along with a DVD. But I was so close to getting a #4-1/2 instead. So really, I saved $150 by my amazing feat of will power.

Its not that she was mad at me, she knew I was going to get something. Its just that she didn't seem to think I displayed enormous powers of self restraint in the same way that I did.

Here is a tip, if you order off the Internet you won't have to pay local sales tax, whereas if you buy at the event you will. And as an attendee of the event they will offer free shipping off of an order placed within a month of the event. So if you can wait a bit to get your tools, you can avoid tax and shipping.

I'm going to a show,and,as suggested,taking how much cash I am really willing to spend.

You can still put in your order at the event, though, and if it's shipped they won't charge sales tax or shipping.

And yes, they do take credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sink View Post
    LOL! You are correct of course, that would have been the better approach. I bought a tite-mark and some accessories, along with a DVD. But I was so close to getting a #4-1/2 instead. So really, I saved $150 by my amazing feat of will power.

Its not that she was mad at me, she knew I was going to get something. Its just that she didn't seem to think I displayed enormous powers of self restraint in the same way that I did.

Here is a tip, if you order off the Internet you won't have to pay local sales tax, whereas if you buy at the event you will. And as an attendee of the event they will offer free shipping off of an order placed within a month of the event. So if you can wait a bit to get your tools, you can avoid tax and shipping.

I had fun at the Lie Nielson hand tool event. The Thursday night members only presentation sure would have gotten some of the members here in an uproar, it was on sharpening. LOL

I over did it Friday, (was on my feet too long) and my back let me know it. so Saturday I was more of a chair setter than a demonstrator, but I got some time in and Don Peterson came in and helped me.

Al Navas took some video while at the event and posted it on his blog, http://sandal-woodsblog.com/2010/03/...n-kansas-city/ he even got me working and evidently his camera did not break.

While I was loading up, one of the Lie Nielson people came over and invited me to demo at some of their other events, but I had to turn them down as Long drives are really hard on me and also their is the moola problem as I am on SS now. But I had a hard time with my cap fitting for awhile. LOL

Took me awhile to recover from the weekend, but I spent about 4 or 5 hours at my Blacksmith Shop today, it was in the low 80's here today, making Holdfasts to try and keep up with orders.

Thank you to all who have ordered.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 03-31-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

The jointer plane demo in that video was really helpful for me. Is that you?

I was dressed in brown Carharrt bibs with a flag cap and I was using a long woody jointer, not sure which one you are referring too.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    The jointer plane demo in that video was really helpful for me. Is that you?
    Zack,

If it helps, Jr Strasil first appears at 9:10 minutes in the video. After using the frame saw he uses the large wooden jointer on one edge.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

I was actually referring to the demo with the LN 8 where he talks about planing diagonally across the board. I didn't make it 9 minutes in. I'll check that out tonight.

Gee, now I know what Junior looks like. Great Demo. The amazing thing to me was that I saw folks that DIDN't have gray hair and weren't bald.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I was actually referring to the demo with the LN 8 where he talks about planing diagonally across the board. I didn't make it 9 minutes in. I'll check that out tonight.
    Zach,

The segment with the LN jointer at 5 to 6 minutes is Deneb, the hand plane expert with Lie-Nielsen. Jr Strasil appears in the later segment I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Al Navas; 04-01-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Add a phrase.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Gee, now I know what Junior looks like. Great Demo. The amazing thing to me was that I saw folks that DIDN't have gray hair and weren't bald.
    Dave,

You are right - I might have been THE only guy attending this Event who is going bald...

Al