Thread: Mudroom Bench

Mudroom Bench

I would like to make something similar to this for my entry off the garage.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...301255,00.html

But after seeing the Hope Chest by Jim Eller in the finished projects forum, I am contemplating substituting raised panels instead.

Anyone have any guidance as to which way I should go? I realize it is all an opinion, but opinions wanted.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    This isn't quite the same thing as your bench but it does show what your raised panels might look like in the finished piece.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You do understand that putting raised panels in that TOH design would be an almost total redesign, right? That design emulates frame-and-panel design. It uses a plywood box for the real structure, and the "frame" is a facade stuck on the plywood. It is a fast and low-tech way of giving the look of real frame-and-panel. With real raised panels, the frame is structural -- that is, it is what holds up the seat. There is real joinery in the frame. True frame-and-panel ain't rocket science, but it does take more more work with the joinery -- as well as with the panels themselves.

Yeah, I understand the work and redesign required w raised panels.

Just wondering if people had in insight aesthetically speaking...

Okay, I'll give you an opinion... I love wood. I'm not fond of paint. I'd build the bench from beautiful hardwood, with a clear finish. With beautiful-enough wood, raising panels is unecessary. The wood itself is decoration.

I love wood too. I thought about that but I think this project, with the beadboard backing, etc it's going to be painted.

Kurt,

I think that would be a very attractive piece of furniture.

One thought though. Have you tried out a bench before with a closed in base? I have not, but I've always thought that it might be a bit awkward to use. IMHO, I think you could be kicking your heels into that bottom panel a lot, particularly when you get up, but maybe even when trying to sit down. I just tried getting up out of my chair a few times as a test and I invariably bring my feet in a few inches under the chair to rise. I think you might want some relief for your heels under that bench. Kind of like a toe-kick under a cabinet. Call it a "heel-kick"??

If you haven't tried it out, maybe you can spend a few minutes to mock up something like that front panel under a chair to see how it goes. Better to experiment before cutting the wood. If you find it to be a problem, maybe the answer can be as simple as extending the lid a few inches out over the base to give some relief.

Brian

That's a good idea. I think I will see about extending the lip. I want as much storage as possible in the bench.

The idea came about because I was shopping for a shoe rack because I have about a dozen pairs sitting on the floor in front of the door. (To answer your question, yes I am single so I don't have someone telling me where to put them or constantly moving them) Then the next Monday I realized that I always sit on the steps and put my shoes on.

The bench kills 2 birds with one stone. I've got to modify the plans to have it fit in the 40" between a wall and the double doors into the game room