Thread: Climb cutting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Climb cutting

I have been experimenting with the "climb cutting" technique on the shaper and was wondering how many others do it. Obviously, a power feed is required and it does take some practice. But, I am not seeing that much difference in the quality of cut vs. the amount of shavings/dust that it produces that does not go into the dust chute, most of it goes out the right side of the shaper onto the floor and other tools. I thought it was bad on the pattern cut, but could not believe the mess the raised panel cutter made. When I do the regular cut, the chips/dust outside the shaper is minimal. Just wondering what other people do.

I have never climb cut on a shaper. I do it all the time with a hand held router though. Makes for a clean cut to remove 90% of the wood without chance of chipout which occurs mor easily with the smaller diamerter cutters.

Is there any reason you are climb cutting? Are you having a problem with chipout or even chunk out?

Generally I climb cut on the shaper, because I can, and because there is always that one little spot in the wood that couldn't handle the chip cut and climb cutting prevents cursing. The power feed holds the peice. I use an outboard fence or should I say a fence on the opposite side of the cutter. This gives the wood something to push against. I also put something to block the flying chips and most of them end up in the DC. I have plans to make a side mounted DC funnel to catch all those flying chips. I don't climb cut raised panels. They work just fine chip cutting.

I do it with a power feeder on my router table and just let the chips fly. I have tried to attach a vacuum host at the end of the table to try and catch the chips but they fly past it almost to fast to make to much difference.

I do see a tremendous difference in the quality of cut when climb cutting.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Leo, I am just trying it out for now. This is the first time I have ever had a power feed and just trying to learn more about it. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but its worth learning about at least.

Hi Randy, yes climb cutting sure makes a mess, I use an aditional 4" hose held in the dust stream by a magnetic base with an arm.

I only climb cut when I have a problem with grain direction or chip out.

Regards, Rod.

I've climb cut dadoes in Melamine on my tablesaw. Eliminates chips on the edges. Don't try this without a power feeder.

More than any other shaper operation, I use a straight bit to clean up edges. Climb cutting is absolutely key for success. Glassy smooth surface which never has a chip out. I use an indexed outboard fence. One of these days I should start a thread on this setup, which amazingly is not used by everyone who owns a shaper.

I still like using panel raising bits in the non-climb cut direction however.

-Steve

Climb cutting also works better in milling machine work. Aluminum climb cuts very well,but regular cutting tends to leave compacter aluminum "fuzz".

DO be VERY careful with climb cutting on a shaper,as it can easily grab the wood. Keep your fingers out of the path of the cutter if the cutter grabs on you.

A milling machine also has to be massive enough to resist the table being jerked into the cut,breaking the cutter.

The only climb cuts I make on the shaper are for when an edge has to be chip free. For instance, I do some raised profile solid slab drawer faces (like a raised panel, but 13/16" thick at the edge). Climb cutting gives a nice clean edge where chip cutting often causes small blowouts. When a panel is captured in a groove, you never see these ragged edges. For climb cutting, I made an auxilliary hood that attaches to the outfeed fence and captures the vast majority of the shavings.
    JR

Don't mean to hijack the thead, but I would love to hear Steve's technique for cleaning up edges on his shaper, that sounds brilliant.

Thanks,

Jason

I would add that when climb cutting on a shaper, even with a power feed it is very important that the cutter be very sharp. Dull cutters create a lot more pull on the piece.

I will usually run the piece in the normal direction at less than final cut, taking out the bulk of the cut, and then do a light pass climb cutting.

Be very carefull, and triple check your setup.......