Thread: Backsaw storage question (open top tool tote)

Backsaw storage question (open top tool tote)

So for a while now, i've been storing my meager collection of hand tools in a cardboard box from Lee valley. About a month ago, I decided this was unacceptable and built an open top tool tote with some scrap shelving boards. You know the kind I'm talking about. Open box with 1 inch dowel for the handle, etc. Like this one. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...p/2417126.html

This was my first functional project, and was built with hand tools. It came out very well, but it looks like a 5th grade art project compared to the material normally seen here, so I won't be posting a build thread.

My question at this point is how should I store my 2 Veritas backsaws? I've seen saw tills that hang on the wall and saw storage methods for large tool chests, but nothing for a portable tote like mine. Anybody got any suggestions? Is it safe to store them horizontally with the blade set in a cut notch? Do I need to attach something to the insides of the box to support them by the handle?

Thanks in advance.

If the box is long enough that the saws fit in its length, I'd take some of your scrap and make deep slots by laminating a thin piece of something - hardboard, for instance - between two pieces of 1x stock, wide enough that the body of the saw is in the slot. If you organize it right, you can set the saws in opposing directions and have two slots, separated by the thickness of the 1x stock. Fasten this to the side of the box.

Have a look at this one, it is realy well tought out, and you could just had the saw part on yours, or make an other one like Tom's one!

Woodwright's shop toolbox.

I am partial to this design that came from The Woodwright's shop. I have built one for myself, and I am currently building one for my uncle. I use 1 x 8 for the case of the toolbox and I make mine about 12" tall.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/h...oolbox1940.pdf

--Matt Rogers