Thread: Curios About Thread Continuity

Blog Entries

Curios About Thread Continuity

Often when looking at a thread over a few days, it seems due to the way the software places messages new posts can be lost in the middle of a thread. Sometimes they are hidden in the "More replies below current depth..."

My thoughts may have no validity, but is it possible to have the posts run in a time sequence instead of having the thread getting "frayed" in to a dozen unravellings?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Check your "Display Modes" setting in the upper right corner of the message window. I use "Linear" mode and see all the posts in the thread in time sequence. The other two setting are "Hybrid Mode" and "Threaded Mode". Not sure what they do, but I suspect that you are using one or the other of those modes.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Ditto on setting the mode to Linear. I did it a few months back and it changed my life...

Threaded creates branches and your responses go down the branch of the person you reply to. If the next person then responds to the OP, his response creates a new thread. You get lost then trying to figure out who posted what, when.

Linear RULES
    Threaded DROOLS

Hybrid? What's that?

Blog Entries
    Tom and Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. Just now when posting an image that shows in the post as Attachment 142474 I was trying to figure out what I may have done to not show the image in the post. That is when I saw the tab at the top of the window and clicked on it.

Oh well, click and learn...

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    You can also go to your USER CP and click on Edit Optins. Scroll down to thread display. I selected linear and then newest on top. That way when I come back to a thread I have already read the new posts are shown first so I don't have to go all the way to the end to find new comments. Only problem is on a new thread you need to scroll to the bottom and read the threads as they go up. (I hope that last sentence made some kind of sense)