Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CNC for $3k?

Take the plunge like Blake,I also build a Mech Mate.It is now close to a year and had no problems with it.MY table size is 2750 x1830

I don't know, but I would think that a lot of innovation has occurred in 10 years and that I'd be better off with a machine that's 10 years newer - even if it's DIY.

Thank you,
    Dan
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2010 at 8:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie Helberg View Post
    Take the plunge like Blake,I also build a Mech Mate.It is now close to a year and had no problems with it.MY table size is 2750 x1830
    The problem is the $5,500 + the metal working. I don't own a welder or chop saw (I could use my SCMS but don't like cutting metal on it). So, now the $5,500 goes up by at least $500, and there is a new thing to learn - welding.

I think the Mechmate looks great, but it's too expensive and I don't know how to weld.

Thank you,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Johnson View Post
    I've looked at Joe's too, but the IPM is only 150 according the website - which is really slow, right? I'm not doing this for a living but I could attempt to turn it into a business and would rather go faster now, just in case.

I see Joe was able to get to 300 IPM. But, if my understanding is correct, the problem is that it uses a lead-screw, right? I did read that there are 1 turn per inch screws but haven't read about anyone using them.

The info may be on Joe's forum, but I can't access it - it seems that I need to buy plans to get in

Thank you,
    Dan
    Dan - it is a private forum and you do need to buy plans to get in. There is a huge thread on CNCZone on the hybrid, start near the end say at page 96 where it is showing some of the newer machines

Yes we started out using lead screws with either 1 turn per inch or 2 turn per inch. With my 2 turn per inch I can get 300ipm without whipping problems. Many of us are going rack and pinion - 600ipm and above rapids are easily achievable now. The rack and pinion is easier to construct and a little cheaper overall. I am going that way right now.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2010 at 8:36 AM. Reason: removed link
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Arrow

I don't know, but I would think that a lot of innovation has occurred in 10 years and that I'd be better off with a machine that's 10 years newer - even if it's DIY.

Thank you,
    Dan
    That bot could do anything you need with the right software. Maybe a little slower than the new machines but plenty 3d capable and at a steal of a price...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132626 I carved this frame with a bot that is older than that one, I have a pr model with a few upgrades, the z axis, rails and the control box, and this machine runs very accurate just a little slower but hey how fast can you carve small 3d files anyway. I had zero cnc experience when I got my machine last may...shopbot control software is very easy to learn, couple that with Vectric software and you are up and running in no time...go for a 4x8 machine you will be happy having the larger table...

Gene Crain
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2010 at 8:41 AM.
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Poke around the Mechmate site a little bit Daniel. There are guys over there that built them for quite a bit cheaper. I used the best quality on everything. Look for a build history for a man who logs in as Lumberjack_Jeff. He built one for $2500 I think.
    Equipment we use - Mechmate CNC Router, Roland VersaCamm SP-540, Vinyl Express 24" Plotter, Wrights of Lymm Lettering brushes, Mack Pinstriping brushes, sharpies and #2 pencils

Software - Corel X3, Versaworks,

It doesn't matter where you go in life,
    It's who you have beside you.

Here is an analysis I did for a 2' x 3' bolt together (8020 aluminum profiles). I am still waiting for FineLine automation to announce the '4 x 4' rack and pinion kit, but it should not be more than about $800 more expensive, maybe less than that.

2' x 3' bolt together router on CNCZone
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73670

2' x 3' router kit mechanical parts - $1300.00
    http://www.finelineautomation.com/store/show/FLA100-00

electronics - about $600.00
    http://www.finelineautomation.com/st...NC+Electronics

router - Bosch Colt - about $100.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...4095909&sr=8-5

router mount - about $65.00
    http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/products.asp?cat=31

Collets from PreciseBits - about $70.00
    http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm
    Router Bits from PreciseBits - varies

Software

Mach3 - about $170

CorelDRAW about $150 with a beginners class and a tutorial

DXFTool $59.95

Vectric Cut2D $149.00 (or SheetCAM about $170)

Total = $2663.95

-James Leonard
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    Dan - it is a private forum and you do need to buy plans to get in. There is a huge thread on CNCZone on the hybrid, start near the end say at page 96 where it is showing some of the newer machines
    Yes we started out using lead screws with either 1 turn per inch or 2 turn per inch. With my 2 turn per inch I can get 300ipm without whipping problems. Many of us are going rack and pinion - 600ipm and above rapids are easily achievable now. The rack and pinion is easier to construct and a little cheaper overall. I am going that way right now.
    Thanks for the link, (today) I'm definitely leaning towards a DIY, bolt-together kit. I saw someone mentioned a 4th axis setup, which is something I would definitely like to do at some point. I also see that the R&P option was made easier by one of the manufacturers. Very cool.

I understand Joe's reasoning, but for someone who's trying to make an informed decision without giving away hard earned cash it's hard to give someone $100 just to get info. I was planning on ordering today, and I don't know where I rank Joe's Hybrid because I can't get enough info. CNCZone is great, but it's over 100 pages (I started at 96 as you suggested).

Some questions I have are:

1. How detailed are the plans? Will they spell out what I need to buy in detail? I think what I need is a breakdown of time and costs. I read posts from two folks who said $2,500 is a good, approximate cost.
    2. Are the plans available for the Rack & Pinion setup?
    3. How long does assembly take?
    4. Any special tools (I have the basics - pliers, socket wrenchs, and so on)?
    5. Does the $2,500 setup run on it's own or does it need to be continuously hooked up to a computer?

I'm sure I have more; this is just off the top of my head. I just want the building process to be as painless as possible. I know the software is going to take some time to learn and I can't justify spending months trying to pull info together from posters and on assembly.

Thank you,
    Dan
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2010 at 8:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Crain View Post
    That bot could do anything you need with the right software. Maybe a little slower than the new machines but plenty 3d capable and at a steal of a price...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132626 I carved this frame with a bot that is older than that one, I have a pr model with a few upgrades, the z axis, rails and the control box, and this machine runs very accurate just a little slower but hey how fast can you carve small 3d files anyway. I had zero cnc experience when I got my machine last may...shopbot control software is very easy to learn, couple that with Vectric software and you are up and running in no time...go for a 4x8 machine you will be happy having the larger table...

Gene Crain
    I appreciate your thoughts on this, but I really don't want to buy something that's so far away and so old.

I probably would enjoy the larger table, but that seems to be an upcoming option (one is already out there) on Joe's Hybrid.

Thanks again,
    Dan
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2010 at 8:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Koehn View Post
    Poke around the Mechmate site a little bit Daniel. There are guys over there that built them for quite a bit cheaper. I used the best quality on everything. Look for a build history for a man who logs in as Lumberjack_Jeff. He built one for $2500 I think.
    I would want to use the best I could afford as well.

I really don't think the Mechmate is for me. It does look incredible though.

Thank you,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by James Leonard View Post
    Here is an analysis I did for a 2' x 3' bolt together (8020 aluminum profiles). I am still waiting for FineLine automation to announce the '4 x 4' rack and pinion kit, but it should not be more than about $800 more expensive, maybe less than that.

Total = $2663.95

-James Leonard
    I appreciate you posting this - but I also hate it! I was getting closer to settling on Joe's! Just kidding, I definitely appreciate it. I saw their 2'x3' kit, but wasn't aware they had a 4'x4' kit coming. This is one of the companies that's making parts for Joe's Hybrid, right? I really like that the majority of the kit is available for purchase from one place. Oh, and I appreciate you posting links; it makes it much easier for me.

I see you put the Colt in there, would you recommend it? I'm really leaning towards a 2 1/4 hp router (the Hitachi is supposed to be really quiet) or a 3 1/2 hp monster (I love the Milwaukee 5625 in my router table). I own a Colt and like it, but I'd rather use 1/2" shanks (actually wish it was 1/2").

Thank you,
    Dan

12. Dan,

Check out Romaxxcnc.com. I have one of their machines and they are very well built.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dentino View Post
    Dan,

Check out Romaxxcnc.com. I have one of their machines and they are very well built.

Tony
    Hi Tony,
    I thought I mentioned the Romaxx. I'm obviously new, but it seems they use high quality components and built a high quality machine. I think I can see why you went with it. The downside is that it's over $4k and I should be able to do a bolt together kit for $1,500-2,000 less.

Thank you,
    Dan

Hi Dan

The Colt is one of the routers that has collets from PreciseBits available. These precision collets open up the applications of the router immensely since they transfrom a router into a real precision spindle. I will be using a Porter-Cable 690 on my table. They have 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" collets for that. Check their website (PreciseBits) and see what routers they are currently supporting. If you use 8020 and Geckodrive electronics you will be able to reuse most of the 2' x 3' components except the screws. A 4' x 4' table will probably be R&P.

-James
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Arrow

I appreciate your thoughts on this, but I really don't want to buy something that's so far away and so old.

I probably would enjoy the larger table, but that seems to be an upcoming option (one is already out there) on Joe's Hybrid.

Thanks again,
    Dan
    I feel the pain with buying stuff far away geez, I'm in Mexico...shipping to San Diego, cross the Border...delivered to our shop San Jose...
    We pay 25% over invoice cost to have tools/materials/hardware delivered to our shop...

"wiring is not a hobby, call an electrician"...I make more $$$ producing our product than I can by producing a cnc machine to produce our product.

Gene Crain
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2010 at 8:44 AM.
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22