Thread: Sawstop stock blade

Sawstop stock blade

Has anyone used the stock Sawstop blade a lot? It made some great test cuts, but I changed over to my other Freud blades for now. I'd like to get input on the SS durability and performance before using it a lot...

any idea who makes their blade for them?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Has anyone used the stock Sawstop blade a lot? It made some great test cuts, but I changed over to my other Freud blades for now. I'd like to get input on the SS durability and performance before using it a lot...

any idea who makes their blade for them?
    After my Freud Fusion was damaged, I started using the SS one. Only limited use so far but it seems it's equally good.

John - Just from browing their website info, the stock blade looks to be a simple stamped steel carbide blade. Their aftermarket blades have laser cut expansion slots, titanium coating, and appear to be a little more advanced. None of those factors is an indication of cut quality.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have both the original steel and the titantium coated ( and a WWII thin kerf) I haven't done any testing, but like the titantium very much now and have left the WWII in the drawer since I got the titantium coated one. I use the steel version for rough stuff ( like PT ) so it won't dull the new blade.

Junk Chinese blade use it on stuff you don't want to cut with a good bladeI don't know why they bother packing it with the saw

I have the OEM saw stop blade and use it as my "junk blade" for cutting MDF and things that it doesn't matter how good the cut is. To me it is just an average blade. I have a 50 tooth combination systimatic blade that I use for all of my good cuts and furniture building. I really like that blade, it rips better than my 40 tooth diablo, and cross cuts better than my 80 tooth dewalt finishing blades. I also have the sawstop titanuim that was a gift for being a field tester. But I have never opened it. The carbide on the titanium is about twice as big as the OEM sawstop blade. The carbide on my systmatic blade is about another 25% larger than the sawstop titanium blade.

The blade that SS ships with saws is designed specifically for nicking hot dogs and eating into aluminum brakes. Decent "junk wood" blade that will cut fine until it gets dull, about 30 linear feet of cut.

The blade that SS ships with saws is designed specifically for nicking hot dogs and eating into aluminum brakes.
    Ok, that's the funniest thing I read all day.....and I can see where it might be true!! I'll stick with my Freud think-kerf blades for now, and keep the SS blade for various junk-wood scenarios.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

But seriously, SS not only makes the safest saw but the safest saw blade, almost everyone I have seen "in the wild" has 1/8th of the blade covered in a smushed up piece of aluminum and the rest of the teeth covered in tape...

I should correct my statement: the one I am talking about is the titanium coated one which apparently is better quality.

Guess I must not be a blade snob. I used the blade that came with my ICS to build all of my kitchen cabinets. I thought it was a good blade and cut as good as the Frued blades I had been using on my old saws. It even did a respectable job on the plywood.

It is dull now and I have switched to using a WF Meyers blade that is also doing well. Now I bet that is a brand of blade that most have not heard of!