Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodcraft Groz planes - A Good Deal?

The woodworking world is very mild as far as drama is concerned compared to some businesses. Having worked in one of those businesses, I can say I didn't find it a lot of fun.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Not very happy with mine

I purchased a Groz plane a while back, mostly because of the price. I fiddled with it for a while and put it back in the box, although I should have returned it. The blade adjustment bottoms out before the blade can be properly adjusted. Screw holes are tapped at an angle. etc.

I don't even know why Woodcraft would bother selling such junk.

Steve

I'll second the warnings about Groz planes (and the new Stanley's too)

My first plane purchase was a Groz #4. I worked on that thing for days and could never get it to work. I took it back and bit the bullet on a LN. That was over 5 years ago and I've never looked back...

Last year a friend bought some new Stanley planes and asked me to help him get them tuned up. He had a #4, #5 and a #7 as I recall. I worked with him for an entire day to get those things tuned up and the only one that ever worked worth a darn was the #5, and it was a far cry from working nearly as well as any of my LN's or rehabbed old Stanley's. The frogs on the other two didn't seat properly and could not be made to function at all.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

The Knoxville, TN Woodcraft had a Wood River, tuned by a local plane "expert". He wrote a blow by blow on the tune up. For the most part it tuned up well and didn't take long. They let be plane with it and even though the blade had been through a lot of planeing (clear hard wood), it made good shaveings. I like the old Stanley's and they are fairly cheap if you just watch for them. So it would be hard to spend much on the plane. But I did like it. No take this opinion and $1 and buy your self a cup of coffee.

Vintage Stanley Bailey + Hock iron = cheap plane that works well.

Groz plane with a twiste

I have Groz #4. Spent some times to tune it up. It works fine. Since I want to do some experiment with this plane. I both a hock blade and hock cap iron. Put in the Groz #4. I borrowed my friend's LN smoother to compare. I don't think I can tell the difference by looking at the shaves and how smooth both planes did to the wood.
    The Groz does not look as nice as the LN, but it may work as well as the LN if you have Groz + hock blade and cap in it.

By no mean I want to say that you should not by the LN, but not all people have the money to buy LN or LV planes. Just remember the most important thing is the sharp blade + flat sole will do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Smith View Post
    I have Groz #4. Spent some times to tune it up. It works fine. Since I want to do some experiment with this plane. I both a hock blade and hock cap iron. Put in the Groz #4. I borrowed my friend's LN smoother to compare. I don't think I can tell the difference by looking at the shaves and how smooth both planes did to the wood.
    The Groz does not look as nice as the LN, but it may work as well as the LN if you have Groz + hock blade and cap in it.

By no mean I want to say that you should not by the LN, but not all people have the money to buy LN or LV planes. Just remember the most important thing is the sharp blade + flat sole will do the work.
    Well, it helps if the frog seats to the body correctly... There's no question that some Groz planes can be made to work. The question is "Do you feel lucky?" You are one of the lucky ones.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

No doubt that I feel that I am a lucky one.
    The Groz plane looks really cheap sitting beside the LN smoother. There is no doubt that the LN is made of finest quality. I have to admit that I love the look and feel of the LN plane. But it is too damn expensive, for now I can not afford it. I will get it when I save up enough.
    For now the Groz #4 serves me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Smith View Post
    No doubt that I feel that I am a lucky one.
    The Groz plane looks really cheap sitting beside the LN smoother. There is no doubt that the LN is made of finest quality. I have to admit that I love the look and feel of the LN plane. But it is too damn expensive, for now I can not afford it. I will get it when I save up enough.
    For now the Groz #4 serves me well.
    You can always E-Bay your Groz later when it comes time to up-grade.
    Lots of people have gone this route.