Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phase Converters

I have a Digital, " Phase Perfect" Phase converter.. Rick C. is aware of it ..

Some folks have some pretty strong feelings lol. about this technology.. but I love it .

I had an electrician wire up a nice set-up for me.. I will include some pictures..

This converter has no motor.. I had the voltage checked and it read 240, 240, 242.. The single phase voltage read 240, 242..

Unlike a VFD, this converter can be used to operate machinery with electromagnetic brakes.. Brakes are more common with European machinery.. An Electromagnetic brake will damage a VFD, if the VFD cant shut down fast enough.

These converters are CNC capable.. Many folks consider them overkill for woodworking machinery, too expensive.. unnecessary etc.. I am saying all this because I have come across some hostile rotary defenders when I discussed this machine..

The reason I like it is because its quiet.. When I go out in the shop, I hit the 100 amp breaker and 8 seconds later, I hear the converter click.. It makes a mild, "whistling" sound .. enough that you remember to turn it off when you leave the shop, but not loud at all.. If I am in the shop for 3 hours, the Converter is on for 3 hours.. It draws 200 watts while waiting and technically never needs to be shut off.. So, I run my 3 phase machinery as simply as I run single phase..

Here are some pictures.

The white box on the wall, left side, that is the converter.. that heavy wire is a #2 awg Aluminium wire, connected to a 100 amp breaker .. The converter will develop about 56 amps of 220V 3 phase power from that ..

One great thing about this machine is that it can be simply plugged into the wall... If you have a 30 amp 220V outlet, you can wire a plug to it and it will generate about 16 - 17 amps.

The panel on the right of the vacuum is a new Siemens 3 phase panel I had installed.. About 10 seconds after I turn on the power, that panel is powered up and ready to distribute power..

As I said, there is no official motor.. There are however cooling fans that come on by themselves.. One thing I have noticed is that after turning the machinery off, the fans will keep running .. I always wait a few minutes for the fan's to stop, before killing the main power to the converter..

The panel has enough space for 6 x 3 phase breakers.. I own 2 x 3 phase tools... so I have room for expansion.. Now that this is all set up, all I need to do is snap in a breaker, run some teck cable, and I am ready to run another machine.. I like that simplicity..

Prior to mounting it on the wall, it sat on the floor behind my jointer.. I would plug it into a 30 amp outlet to run my 3 phase jointer .. I finally acquired another 3 phase tool, so I set it up properly.. I do like the flexibility however..

That converter is rated at 20hp.. It could have taken a 125 amp breaker, which would have allowed it to develop 64 amps.. My biggest motor is 35 amps.. so I didn't see the need in a one man shop..

There are a bunch of ways to run 3 phase machinery .. this is just one way.. People have been running rotaries for 20 years with no problems.. There are issues with Rotaries and running them flat out, or running more than one motor.. While that is true, if you hit the power button on a tool that is already running with this converter, the converter shuts down.. meaning you need to go snap turn the breaker off, and on again.. Everything has its little quirks..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 01-02-2010 at 7:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    While that is true, if you hit the power button on a tool that is already running with this converter, the converter shuts down.. meaning you need to go snap turn the breaker off, and on again.. Everything has its little quirks..
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? If you hit the power button to turn off a tool that is running it trips the converter/??

If the machine is running already.. and you hit the power button by accident.... it often shuts down the converter..

It doesn't trip a breaker or burn a fuse.. it just stops.. I end up snapping the breaker off and on, and all is well..

It seems to be a safety thing.. not sure..

Rick:

Very nice installation. This is very timely as I'm trying to install a 10HP Phase Perfect phase converter myself. Where did you get the 3-phase panel? I've been trying to find it online, without much luck.

Thanks
    Anil

Hello Anil...

I got the panel from an electrical wholesaler.. 3 phase panels and breakers are way more money than single phase..

That panel was about $180.00 if memory serves.. Its an 18 slot panel..
    The breakers where $120.00 for the 20 amp and $150.00 for the 50 amp..

So that panel is about $500.00 plus the wire..

I used Copper to the tools .. and Aluminium from the main to the converter.. Copper holds a connection better, (apparently) so when connecting to a machine, which could vibrate, copper is the better choice..

Most electrical wholesalers sell Tek cable by the yard, or meter in Canada. I bought the copper all as "roll ends" .. It was about 30% cheaper than off the coil. There is still about $200 worth of cable in that set up..

Now that its done, adding more lines is easy.. So long as they dont require more amperage than the converter can supply of course..

I am looking for a really nice used industrial edge sander.. it will likely be 3 or 4 hp x 3 phase.. So for the cost of a breaker and more Tek cable, I can run it, I like that freedom..

Your going to love the Phase Perfect.. Excellent choice..

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    There are however cooling fans that come on by themselves.
    A few people have posted pictures of the inside of the Phase Perfect, and without pondering it too much, I had wondered why I never saw the cooling fan(s) that you and others have commented on. This is the first time I have seen pictures inside and out at the same time, and after noticing the muffin fan in the top left corner, I realized that there is a partition splitting the enclosure in half.

It always seemed a little odd that I couldn't find any power components that seemed large enough to switch high amperage AC. Now I realize that all of the power electronics are on the other side of the partition.

If that top panel comes off easily (or if there is another access), I would love to see pictures of the other side of that partition. Maybe Anil can snap a picture if he hasn't installed his yet.

in a year or so, I will be moving and building a new shop. unfortunately I will not have 3 phase like I do now. so I will be looking at the phase perfect. let us know how like it. I read on some web site that these solid state units only last 2 years. seems like bunk to me, but I do know that a normal rotary phase converter seems to last for ever. they are just inefficient and noisy.

best wishes
    lou

Rick:

I finally managed to get some pictures before I installed my Phase Perfect PT330. Hopefully these provide a little more details, I could not open the panel right behind the circuit board. FWIW, here are the pics:

Anil

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    A few people have posted pictures of the inside of the Phase Perfect, and without pondering it too much, I had wondered why I never saw the cooling fan(s) that you and others have commented on. This is the first time I have seen pictures inside and out at the same time, and after noticing the muffin fan in the top left corner, I realized that there is a partition splitting the enclosure in half.

It always seemed a little odd that I couldn't find any power components that seemed large enough to switch high amperage AC. Now I realize that all of the power electronics are on the other side of the partition.

If that top panel comes off easily (or if there is another access), I would love to see pictures of the other side of that partition. Maybe Anil can snap a picture if he hasn't installed his yet.

As more and more businesses move to the new (and expensive) solid-state 3-phase technology (aka PhasePerfect) the price of old, inefficient RPCs will drop significantly! Time for those who could not formerly afford 3-phase in their home shop to cop a bargain! Many bypass 3-phase machinery for the very reason that they cannot readily be used @home.

Even if one cannot afford the latest PhasePerfect technology, ever-cheaper RPCs may fill the bill for many!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Rick, I am sorry for all the questions on such an old thread, but I am wanting to install one of these and am getting all of my facts together.
    When you had your unit set up behind your jointer did you have any issues with dust getting into it? Any concerns there?
    Looking at the ground connection n the PT355, it looks like the input ground and the load ground are tied to the same lug. Is that correct?
    Does the 3 phase panel you installed have a main breaker?
    Did you ever wire up a contactor or automatic start to the unit? If so, did you use the control leads or do it with the single phase inputs?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a Digital, " Phase Perfect" Phase converter.. Rick C. is aware of it ..

Some folks have some pretty strong feelings lol. about this technology.. but I love it .

I had an electrician wire up a nice set-up for me.. I will include some pictures..

This converter has no motor.. I had the voltage checked and it read 240, 240, 242.. The single phase voltage read 240, 242..

Unlike a VFD, this converter can be used to operate machinery with electromagnetic brakes.. Brakes are more common with European machinery.. An Electromagnetic brake will damage a VFD, if the VFD cant shut down fast enough.

These converters are CNC capable.. Many folks consider them overkill for woodworking machinery, too expensive.. unnecessary etc.. I am saying all this because I have come across some hostile rotary defenders when I discussed this machine..

The reason I like it is because its quiet.. When I go out in the shop, I hit the 100 amp breaker and 8 seconds later, I hear the converter click.. It makes a mild, "whistling" sound .. enough that you remember to turn it off when you leave the shop, but not loud at all.. If I am in the shop for 3 hours, the Converter is on for 3 hours.. It draws 200 watts while waiting and technically never needs to be shut off.. So, I run my 3 phase machinery as simply as I run single phase..

Here are some pictures.

The white box on the wall, left side, that is the converter.. that heavy wire is a #2 awg Aluminium wire, connected to a 100 amp breaker .. The converter will develop about 56 amps of 220V 3 phase power from that ..

One great thing about this machine is that it can be simply plugged into the wall... If you have a 30 amp 220V outlet, you can wire a plug to it and it will generate about 16 - 17 amps.

The panel on the right of the vacuum is a new Siemens 3 phase panel I had installed.. About 10 seconds after I turn on the power, that panel is powered up and ready to distribute power..

As I said, there is no official motor.. There are however cooling fans that come on by themselves.. One thing I have noticed is that after turning the machinery off, the fans will keep running .. I always wait a few minutes for the fan's to stop, before killing the main power to the converter..

The panel has enough space for 6 x 3 phase breakers.. I own 2 x 3 phase tools... so I have room for expansion.. Now that this is all set up, all I need to do is snap in a breaker, run some teck cable, and I am ready to run another machine.. I like that simplicity..

Prior to mounting it on the wall, it sat on the floor behind my jointer.. I would plug it into a 30 amp outlet to run my 3 phase jointer .. I finally acquired another 3 phase tool, so I set it up properly.. I do like the flexibility however..

That converter is rated at 20hp.. It could have taken a 125 amp breaker, which would have allowed it to develop 64 amps.. My biggest motor is 35 amps.. so I didn't see the need in a one man shop..

There are a bunch of ways to run 3 phase machinery .. this is just one way.. People have been running rotaries for 20 years with no problems.. There are issues with Rotaries and running them flat out, or running more than one motor.. While that is true, if you hit the power button on a tool that is already running with this converter, the converter shuts down.. meaning you need to go snap turn the breaker off, and on again.. Everything has its little quirks..