Thread: Question about cutting Acrylic

Question about cutting Acrylic

Just have a question about cutting 1/8th inch clear cast acrylic . I was cutting out some 5"x5" snowflakes and the edges seamed to get charred or wicked. After vector cutting I washed them and tried to clean up the edges by wiping them down but you can still see that there is burn marks here and there. Is this normal ? or do I have to adjust my settings.
    I have a VL 200 30W
    The vector settings I used were 100p and 0.4 S and 1000 ppi.

Quote Originally Posted by kyna cass View Post
    Just have a question about cutting 1/8th inch clear cast acrylic . I was cutting out some 5"x5" snowflakes and the edges seamed to get charred or wicked. After vector cutting I washed them and tried to clean up the edges by wiping them down but you can still see that there is burn marks here and there. Is this normal ? or do I have to adjust my settings.
    I have a VL 200 30W
    When I cut .125" cast acrylic I remove the mask from the top surface and leave it on the bottom. Also air assist and a vector cutting grid makes for better edge quality.

Neal

Thank you , I will try that !!)

I love simple solutions ! Worked perfectly..

Quote Originally Posted by kyna cass View Post
    JI have a VL 200 30W
    That looks like way too much power. Standard setting for 30W is 65P 0.5S 1000PPI, but that's for 0.2" acrylic. For 1/8" (which is probably really 0.11" or something like that), I'd start at 50P 0.7S and adjust the speed up/down until it just barely cuts through consistently. (Or stay with 100P and bump the speed up to 1.0-1.5.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 12-05-2009 at 2:47 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That looks like way too much power. Standard setting for 30W is 65P 0.5S 1000PPI, but that's for 0.2" acrylic. For 1/8" (which is probably really 0.11" or something like that), I'd start at 50P 0.7S and adjust the speed up/down until it just barely cuts through consistently. (Or stay with 100P and bump the speed up to 1.0-1.5.)

The settings I use are 100P/2.2-2.8Speed/500PPI
    Epilog Mini 24 - 50 watt with Rotary Attachment
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40 Rotary Engraver
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40G Rotary Engraver with Rotary Base Fixture
    Ricoh GelSprinter GX e7700N Dye-Sublimation Printer
    George Knight DK-20S Heat Press
    George Knight DK-3 Mug Press (x2)

Corel X7; Photograv 3.03; LaserExpress, Adobe CS5.5
    Vinyl Express GRC-61 - 24" Vinyl Cutter
    And other stuff I don't know how to use

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Erwin View Post
    The settings I use are 100P/2.2-2.8Speed/500PPI
    Power and PPI values map ok between different brand/model lasers of the same power, but not speed since the max speeds may not match.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/kyna/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]Thank you guys
    My snowflakes are perfect now! No burnt edges. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/kyna/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kyna cass; 12-06-2009 at 1:49 AM.