Thread: Stationary vs. Portable workbench

Stationary vs. Portable workbench

I have been searching workbench designs for a while and thought I was settled on the "traditional" style workbench (mine would be 30" x 78") made from hard maple w/bench dogs and a vise. However, a friend of mine put in my head some of the models out there that are portable and made from other materials besides maple. To be honest, I didn't even consider these before. I'm working out of a 10.5' x 22' area in my basement. I was ready to dedicate the space in my shop to the traditional style, but now am not sure. I like all of the pros of the traditional bench but the versatility of the portable seems to make sense as well. I have some concerns about the stability of the portable styles though. Any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated.

Workbench

I read a book by Chris Schwarz on benches, it was really helpful in deciding what I wanted to build for a bench.

Portable as in pack it up and take it somewhere outside your basement or just the ability to move it around?

If you're just looking for a way to move it around the shop, Schwarz posted some pics, etc on the Woodworking Magazine blog recently that show how someone outfitted a Roubo-style (I think) bench with casters.

Don't know if that's what you're looking for but may spark an interest/idea.

Doesn't look like you have much space for a workshop. I don't either, that's why my workbench is mobile. I have it on 4" lockable casters. Spent good $$$ for good casters and once in the locked position it's pretty solid. I move it often as the need arises. Has served as an outfeed table before I built a fold down outfeed table. Careful design let me do that. If I had the space, I might have done otherwise, but when space is precious, you have to compromise a little. Everything I have is on a mobile base of some sorts. Lots of 4" disconnectable tubing running around that eventually gets to my Jet 1100cfm dust collection unit (also on mobile base). The mobile workbench has served me well. I guess I could have worked around a fixed unit, but this have given me much more functionality in a small basement shop.

I think for many, the exercise of building a traditional wood workbench serves as some rite of passage more than a practical addition to a shop that does not see lots of hand tool work. With respect to use of hand planes and chisels, and a dovetail saw, a solid workbench with nice wood vises is a necessisity; not an option.

If one has the space to devote to a large heavy workbench, more power to him! But alas, for many the utility is not comensurate with the effort to build, and space consumed. A hollow-core door on saw horses serves as a glue-up table just as well.

Dont get me wrong! A well-executed hardwood workbench is STILL REALLY NEAT Tho!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

If you want a portable bench get a solid core door and a pair of folding plastic sawhorses.

I would recommend reading christopher Schwartz's book (no relationship), as even if you don't build one of the two benches of his design, you will learn alot about the history and use of the traditional bench.

I built the Roubo style bench featured in his book, and I will get arround to uploading some pictures here sometime.

A pair of sawhorses, two 2x4's and whatever scrap mdf and plywood I have arround at the time get equal use in my machine room, when I am not working with hand tools.

I also have a large assembly table built from 2x10's and a MDF top laminated with formica, and another built from 2x6's with a 4x8' melamine top.

A massive traditional bench is an absolute must for serious work with hand-tools, and it has to be heavy due to the fact every force needs an equal and opposite reaction or it will move. A table for work with handheld power tools and general assembly etc... still needs to be solid, flat, but can be of much lighter construction.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 11-27-2009 at 1:42 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

I looked at the Blum bench on You tube. I considered building a version of it (haven't had much shop time), as I have been debating about how to make it more fixed (weighed down) when open.

Check out Norm's assembly table he built a couple of years ago...He got the design from a PBS workshop. It looks solid and light as the top is constructed like a hollow core door with a replaceable top. It is also designed to be easily move around and the same height as a table saw so it can be used as an in feed table or an out feed table as needed. In one word "multitasker".

Bench Mobility - Retractable Casters

Here's what I did to make my bench movable (not portable though) It conviently allows me to move it around and to position it securly once located where I need it.

More pics can be seen here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopsh...chCasterDetail#
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick Mahany.

Bench

If you look at a traditional European bench like Frank Klauz's as seen in the Landis book, I agree that his workbench is not great for power tool work, even though it is beautiful and well suited for his handwork.

However, If you look at the English and French benches seen in Chris Schwarz's book, you see two benches, from many centuries ago, that are very well suited for all types of wookwork and assembly work, both hand tools and power tools.

I'm building a French type bench out of necessity (not as a right of passage) using fir, and if I never used a handtool again this bench will still be the most used item in my shop.

Right now I have a butcher block top, 30"x72" on a support stand better than sawhorses would be, and it's an absolute misery no matter what I am trying to do. It is good for collecting clutter though

My bench is going to be nine feet long and two feet wide. If I was more space limited (my shop is about 22'x24') I would make a bench six feet long by two feet wide. the height will be 31.5" and it s lower than any stationary tools I have. It will be mobile via dragging it around and I suspect it will be dragged quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    I think for many, the exercise of building a traditional wood workbench serves as some rite of passage more than a practical addition to a shop that does not see lots of hand tool work. With respect to use of hand planes and chisels, and a dovetail saw, a solid workbench with nice wood vises is a necessisity; not an option.

If one has the space to devote to a large heavy workbench, more power to him! But alas, for many the utility is not comensurate with the effort to build, and space consumed. A hollow-core door on saw horses serves as a glue-up table just as well.

Dont get me wrong! A well-executed hardwood workbench is STILL REALLY NEAT Tho!

An idea just popped into my mind, and yes it hurts.
    Incorporate a small assembly table that can be stored in your work bench.
    Make it about 20" high, built like a coffee table, but heavy. Slide it out when you need it to work on the top part of projects and save your back. Slide it back in for storage.
    I could probably draw it out if I'm not making sense.
    Last edited by Gary Gleave; 11-27-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I really was not making sense Ha Ha

Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I like the pics of the caster mechanism earlier in the thread. I also like the idea of the slide out assembly table. I'm thinking more along the lines of the movable bench now.

I made my bench mobile by using some table saw casters available from Woodcraft, and incorporating a wedge to mount them at the proper angle. They work great for lifting the bench and then setting it back down. I am fairly happy with it, but the wheels are not as hard as I would like, and do get scarred from rolling around on the cement floor. When they wear out, I will replace them with urethane wheels, but for now, it works well.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    When I built my bench about seven years ago,I put on some heavy duty casters. My shop is in my garage and I have only moved it once and probably won't be moving it again. That being said,the casters give you the flexibility to move the bench in the future. Even though I've only moved it once, if I were building it today I'd do it with casters again.
    Dennis