Thread: New home for DC

New home for DC

Actually, it hasn't moved an inch. It's getting a home built around it. In trade for the loss of 2 110v outlets, I'm getting two new walls to hang things on.

The dust bin barely sneaks its way out. I needed to cut it close because I was not willing to lose another outlet.

Tomorrow I make a door, hang OSB, stuff insulation and finish off with beadboard to match the walls. The return air duct will probably go down near the floor on the long side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why lose outlets?

Just wire in some new ones on those walls and feed power out of the existing boxes.

Some one else could describe point by point better than I, but I know I sure wouldn't be losing power in my shop.

Would a floor level return kick up settled dust?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Just wire in some new ones on those walls and feed power out of the existing boxes.

Some one else could describe point by point better than I, but I know I sure wouldn't be losing power in my shop.

Would a floor level return kick up settled dust?
    This closet thing is temporary until I get the motivation to pour a slab and build a shed off the rear of the shop and run the ductwork under the raised wood floor (after winter passes, probably).

My initial reaction was to leave the outlets as is because I will retrieve them when I take the walls down. Still, you make a good point. It's not that much trouble to reroute the outlet closest to the new wall.

You might be right on the location of the floor level return kicking up dust. It seemed to me that having it at the top would be a direct route for the motor and impeller noise to come out. And I don't want it near mid level because I want to take advantage of the wall space for hanging stuff. Maybe I could do a baffle box of some sort up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    This closet thing is temporary until I get the motivation to pour a slab and build a shed off the rear of the shop and run the ductwork under the raised wood floor (after winter passes, probably).

My initial reaction was to leave the outlets as is because I will retrieve them when I take the walls down. Still, you make a good point. It's not that much trouble to reroute the outlet closest to the new wall.

You might be right on the location of the floor level return kicking up dust. It seemed to me that having it at the top would be a direct route for the motor and impeller noise to come out. And I don't want it near mid level because I want to take advantage of the wall space for hanging stuff. Maybe I could do a baffle box of some sort up there.
    Post #9 has some links to pics on an enclosure:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...39414#poststop

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Stewart View Post
    Post #9 has some links to pics on an enclosure:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...39414#poststop

Thanks Pat. The pictures helped fill in a couple of blanks. Rain kept me from going out and getting the wall material until late this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll do all the stuff that I was going to do today.

Oh, and in my best adaptation (kinda like pulling victory from the mouth of defeat), I moved my compressor into the closet to take up one outlet and I will install a light for the second plug. Yes, there is another 110 outlet behind the DC, but I can't see it. Out of sight out of ...
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 11-22-2009 at 9:14 PM.