Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carving tool set?

Thanks Mike

I am soooo! glad it isn't a "just me" sort of thing. I had been thinking I was strange or ???? because I am never totally happy with the edge. I get it sharp and hone and hone and hone and .... So many times before I finish the carving project. I was thinking I couldn't carve and then I found out I couldn't sharpen. That was my problem. I now get the edge extreme type sharp and I am pleased with the cuts I make (even the ones in my fingers aren't has painful as they were) and I have much less "fuzzy" to clean up. I was hoping I wasn't too far off base when I recommended as much $$$ in sharpening as tools. The work is relaxing and satisfying with sharp edges. One other thing I noticed with extreme sharp tools was the control. I was thinking I couldn't get faces right, of proportions correct. The truth is that I did not have the cutting control that I needed. My work is much closer to the photo or DVD when I sharpen correctly.

Phil

We've all been there...friend! Like carving itself, sharpening isn't something we can learn overnight. There are whole books or large sections of books devoted to it. Adding to the confusion is that all of the experts seem to have their own methods!

I'll get that V-tool right someday!