Thread: Which filters to use with a respirator?

Which filters to use with a respirator?

Hi All,

I plan to saw alot of MDF and I just bought a respirator (3M half facepiece). However, there must be a hundred types of filters to use with it when I check the 3M website. Could anyone tell me which filter I should use? And which filter(s) should I use for finishing? Thank for the help.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post
    Hi All,

I plan to saw alot of MDF and I just bought a respirator (3M half facepiece). However, there must be a hundred types of filters to use with it when I check the 3M website. Could anyone tell me which filter I should use? And which filter(s) should I use for finishing? Thank for the help.

Craig
    I use the P100 3M filters.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-R-2091-Part...8391495&sr=1-1

With one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

Both were recommended by TheWoodWhisperer videos!

For wood dust you want a particulate filter. The N series is probably fine, the P series is also resistant to oil. The higher the number, the greater the percentage of particles that are filtered. The "100" series gets 99.97% of particles.

For finishing, you generally want an organic vapour cartridge. Store them in a ziploc bag when not using it and they'll last longer.
    Last edited by Chris Friesen; 11-16-2009 at 12:26 PM.

4. +1 on the P100.. Currently working with some MDF on a project.. Forgot to wear the mask for a few cuts (ugh!).. The P100 takes care of it all.

The P100's are what I use. If you want an educated answer, I'd bet 3M has a filter selection guide or a phone number you can call.

This is an excellent site with solid info on all types of safety devices;
    http://www.labsafety.com/

Mac

I chose the P100 over the N95 just because I would rather get nearly 100% of the particles filtered out.

3M 2091 P100 particulate filter.
    3M 6003 Organic Vapor filter.

Ditto on the practice of keeping the organic filter in a plastic bag when not in use.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

+1 on the P100 basically that will filter dust to 3m, perferable you want to filter to 1m but that get expensive. Make sure you are using a dust collector at the point of the source that is still your best attack.

Basically if you can smell it or it drys you need an organic filter. This has chorchol in it that absorbes the fumes. It does ware out and just leaving it in the air for two weeks it will saturate it that is why you should put it in a air tight bag to prolong it's life.
    -=Jason=-

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information. I googled 3M filter selection guide and checked www. labsafety.com from which I got alot of information. All of you basically agreed on the 3M 2091 P100 particulate filter and the 3M 6003 Organic Vapor filter so I aready ordered them. Thanks!

Craig