Thread: Jet 1642 EVS-2 Motor Shaft

Jet 1642 EVS-2 Motor Shaft

I have a question concerning the motor shaft, or possibly a motor bearing, on a Jet 1642 EVS-2. I bought the lathe this spring and I really have not spent a great deal of time with it. Yesterday I turned a 3" limb that was somewhat unbalanced, but not so out of balance that I thought it was unsafe or a potential problem for the lathe. While I was working, the lathe started making a clicking noise in the motor and I shut it down.

Long story short, the motor clicks from 0-1,800 RPM and has some vibration. The noise and the vibration smooth out over 1,800 RPM. The problem is not with the cooling fan on the end of the motor. I removed the drive belt completely to eliminate the spindle and/or spindle lock from the possible causes. The motor shaft has no play whatsoever to indicate a problem with the bearings, but there is some visible run-out on the pulley.

Now Jet is replacing the motor under warranty, but I would like to know if anything I did could have possibly contributed to causing this? I don't want this to happen again, but I cannot imagine what I was working on caused this on a lathe that on the high end for a hobbyist. Any thoughts?

That's what warranties are for. I seriously doubt that you did anything that would cause the motor to fail. I have turned pieces that weighed around 70 pounds, were unbalanced and shook everything real good until I got them balanced. Never even had a hiccup.

I wouldn't worry to much about the cause - just replace the motor and get to turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Again, ditto what Steve said. Had identical problem a couple years ago. Replaced under warranty. Rest assured it was nothing you did.
    Richard in Wimberley

Thanks guys for the reassurance. I could not imagine it was anything I did, but if it was and I had not asked, then I would only have myself to blame if the same thing happens to the new motor.

I had a similar problem earlier this summer on that lathe. Jet sent me a replacement and it has worked fine since.

If you search the few threads I have started, there is a pretty detailed story.

Good luck.

Found link:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117233
    Last edited by Chris Stolicky; 10-14-2009 at 8:07 PM. Reason: added link

Chris, I just came back to this thread to post an update and I just saw your reply. I don't know how I missed it, but I had searched for your thread before starting this one as I had recalled reading your story and thinking that my problem was similar.

As it turns out, we had a nearly identical experience. My old motor was dated 6/2008 and I see yours was made around the same time. My replacement motor (dated 8/2009) arrived earlier this week and I installed it yesterday. No problems whatsoever, other than, like yours, it ran in reverse when wired according to the schematic. I flipped two of the three wires, and all is good. I'm curious if you broke down the old motor to verify what the problem was? I'm holding on to my old motor and I may take it apart on a slow day to see if I can fix it easily and cheaply.

I want to add that it really sucks when something like this happens, but my experience with Jet's tech services was great. I worked with Bobby on this and he was most helpful. I did not get a hint of a run-around, and frankly I was expecting it to be more difficult to get a high ticket item like a motor replaced. I suppose that since this was a known problem with some of these motors, that probably helped speed up the verification process. Bobby even called me to let me know when the motor had shipped, and I did not ask him to do that.

Glad to hear you are back up and running! Also good to hear that you received the great customer service that we have come to expect from Jet!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Glad to hear you got it running properly. Yes, it is frustrating, but Jet customer service came through again.

The wiring thing is pretty amusing. I wonder if that's what cause the problem in the first place? ....... um, probably not.

I have not attempted to open it up yet. I actually considered the thought of a 42 pound paperweight, but right now, I just sat it next to my lathe ballast/storage box and just added 42 pounds more of weight to the lathe.

Good luck with your 'newer' machine.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Chris, I just came back to this thread to post an update and I just saw your reply. I don't know how I missed it, but I had searched for your thread before starting this one as I had recalled reading your story and thinking that my problem was similar.

As it turns out, we had a nearly identical experience. My old motor was dated 6/2008 and I see yours was made around the same time. My replacement motor (dated 8/2009) arrived earlier this week and I installed it yesterday. No problems whatsoever, other than, like yours, it ran in reverse when wired according to the schematic. I flipped two of the three wires, and all is good. I'm curious if you broke down the old motor to verify what the problem was? I'm holding on to my old motor and I may take it apart on a slow day to see if I can fix it easily and cheaply.

I want to add that it really sucks when something like this happens, but my experience with Jet's tech services was great. I worked with Bobby on this and he was most helpful. I did not get a hint of a run-around, and frankly I was expecting it to be more difficult to get a high ticket item like a motor replaced. I suppose that since this was a known problem with some of these motors, that probably helped speed up the verification process. Bobby even called me to let me know when the motor had shipped, and I did not ask him to do that.
    Do you know the date range for motors that might be bad? I purchased my lathe last spring during the big warehouse sale. My lathe has a motor twith a 4/2008 date. So far I have not noticed a clicking sound ith just whines a little louder at slow RPM. I have been working on getting space for it in my shop, so I have not used it much yet.
    Paul

No, I don't know what the date range is for the motors that could have this issue. You have a 5-year warranty on the motor, so I expect that if there is a problem, you'll know it while you are still covered. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest viewing the videos that Chris posted in his original thread (link above). Then you'll know exactly what to look, and listen, for if you do start to have a problem.