Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Forme Hollower

Pro Forme Hollower

Hi All,

Anybody here seen or used this tool? I saw a video on You Tube that looked pretty impressive. So was the price for a system at $500+! Yikes! But it looked like it cut rather than scraped so it hollowed very fast.

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/se...8da1b593d79577
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Not surprising. My Jamison captured system is currently over $420 at 2 different places I checked.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Little to pricey for my blood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've read good things about it

I've not used the tool myself, but I've seen excellent reviews for it from respected sources.

It's on sale at Craft Supplies USA for about $330.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ter_kits?Args=

I have the whole set and love them, the cut amazing and it's pretty much my goto tool, freehand or in a captured rig. I also use them in Randy's articulated arm, just great and they also have a little scraper head.
    the handles are very nice, I have 2 of them.
    Sascha

Good to see somebody uses them. I take it the regular head actually cuts rather than scrapes? That sounds better than scraping end grain. Or is it?

Alan - generally speaking, any time you can cut something you will get a better finish than if you scrape it. In reality, it has more to do with the experience of the turner, technique and wood being turned. I have finally gotten to the point of being able to scrape - sometimes, but happening more often - and no sanding required.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, I hope you don't have to sand the interiors of HF's. I sand inside the opening as far as I can and that's it. If any more sanding is required then I quit.

Alan - I'm one of those guys who believes that the inside of the hollow form should remain as I cut it. That means rough end grain or whatever as I believe it shows whoever that this was turned by a person and not some machine. I don't hide the fact that I am not perfect but leave it out there for everyone to see.

Not everyone adheres to that same philosophy - but it is what I do.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have some of those Pro-Forme tools too. I love them. They cut very nicely. It's fun to cut flowing curlies from the inside of forms. It's fast and leaves a good finish. But you certainly don't need to shell out over 500 bucks for the full set. The cutter head is the important part, which you can get for $40 at Craft Supplies right now. They just fit into a hole in the tool shaft ... so you could make your own shafts and handles very inexpensively. You can also move the same cutter head between straight and bent shafts if you want to save some money. The slight bend tool seems of very little value to me. And the Woodcut handles are very overpriced compared to all the other suitable handles on the market.

This tool (and the others like it) are, of course, variations of the old hook tool theme. The main difference is the adjustable cover over the cutter, which only allows the desired amount of the cutter to be exposed, making it easier to use. Hook tools can be made for very little cost too if you want to experiment. There's always Jeff's drill-bit cutter too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    I have some of those Pro-Forme tools too. I love them. They cut very nicely. It's fun to cut flowing curlies from the inside of forms. It's fast and leaves a good finish. But you certainly don't need to shell out over 500 bucks for the full set.
    Same here. I made some shafts out of hot-rolled steel. One straight and two bent. Cuts like a banshee on green wood. I put a hand grip perpendicular to the main handle so I could control the angle of attack and to be able to steady the tool if I hit a knot, etc. The shafts are just like the shafts for Oland cutters.

Oh, yeah, and the cutters are made from really good (i.e., really hard-to-sharpen) steel.

Art

pro form hollower

I saw those a while back and like said was just a tad to pricey for me.So 6 ft of 5/8 stainless steel rod a 4" dia piece of PVC pipe and about 6.00 worth of steel pipe and now I have two complete sets,OH yes a a 1/8 x 1/4 x 12" stainles flat bar stock.Total price about 60.00 Not cheap,just retired

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Alan - I'm one of those guys who believes that the inside of the hollow form should remain as I cut it. That means rough end grain or whatever as I believe it shows whoever that this was turned by a person and not some machine. I don't hide the fact that I am not perfect but leave it out there for everyone to see.

Not everyone adheres to that same philosophy - but it is what I do.
    Steve, Your philosphy is a good one. It's hard being perfect. I just wish my wife would let me be imperfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry ward View Post
    I saw those a while back and like said was just a tad to pricey for me.So 6 ft of 5/8 stainless steel rod a 4" dia piece of PVC pipe and about 6.00 worth of steel pipe and now I have two complete sets,OH yes a a 1/8 x 1/4 x 12" stainles flat bar stock.Total price about 60.00 Not cheap,just retired
    I made a couple of tools from 3/4" square steel bar and they worked very well. I made a straight one and an angled one. Only thing was I found out the 3/4" bar was too big to get into smaller vessels.

Was the stainless steel rod hard to drill? What's the 4" pvc for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    I have some of those Pro-Forme tools too. I love them. They cut very nicely. It's fun to cut flowing curlies from the inside of forms. It's fast and leaves a good finish. But you certainly don't need to shell out over 500 bucks for the full set. The cutter head is the important part, which you can get for $40 at Craft Supplies right now. They just fit into a hole in the tool shaft ... so you could make your own shafts and handles very inexpensively. You can also move the same cutter head between straight and bent shafts if you want to save some money. The slight bend tool seems of very little value to me. And the Woodcut handles are very overpriced compared to all the other suitable handles on the market.

This tool (and the others like it) are, of course, variations of the old hook tool theme. The main difference is the adjustable cover over the cutter, which only allows the desired amount of the cutter to be exposed, making it easier to use. Hook tools can be made for very little cost too if you want to experiment. There's always Jeff's drill-bit cutter too.
    Thanks for the feedback Ryan. Craft Supplies list the cutter head as out of stock but I guess there are other sources. Your idea is a great one about using different shafts. I've seen Jeff's drill cutter and it looks awesome. Thanks again.