Thread: First "Big Day" As An Official Woodworker!

First "Big Day" As An Official Woodworker!

I've been putting together my shop for a month now and have been acquiring various tools along the way, but have never really used them. I used my table saw some when resurfacing a bench, but that's about it. Well, tonight I was out practicing my very first rabbets in preparation for the "real thing" when I cut them in the legs of my future workbench.

So...I got to make my first cuts through 4" stock on my sliding compound miter saw. That was very cool! Then I took a scrap piece of 4x4 and I tried a dado technique on my table saw. But without a dado blade, cutting 1/8" at a time got a bit tedious, especially since I am going to have to do 16 cuts, each 3 1/2 inches. So, I opened the box on my router, skimmed the highlights of the operator's manual and inserted a 3/4" mortise bit. I looked like a woodchipper! I could hardly see across my shop and it's not even 8 feet wide! Anyway, that seemed to do the trick in finishing my rabbets. I'm going to practice again tomorrow though so I end up with a "smoother" finish.

At my favorite fishing site (www.gamefishin.com) we always post "lessons learned" so that others can benefit from your mistakes/experience. Well, I'm am absolutely certain that everybody here already knows everything I learned tonight, but I'm feeling kind of giddy and am going to post my lessons learned anyway. Here they are:

1. Miter saws make a lot of sawdust.
    2. Routers make a lot of sawdust.
    3. Table saws with regular blades are slow and boring to dado with.
    4. Table saws are really loud.
    5. Table saws make a lot of sawdust.
    6. Sawdust stacks up quick on the floor and everywhere else--even if you weren't even near that spot.
    7. Eye protection is a good thing.
    8. Measuring carefully is worth the time it takes.

Yup, I have sawdust in my ears and my nose, but it feels pretty good. Tomorrow I have a date with the hardware store to get a dado blade. I am also going to get some ear plugs to save the hearing I have left (3 years in Field Artillery took a chunk of it). Tomorrow night I may get sidetracked and try out all those other router bits--this workbench I'm building may never get done. Oh well...

Wade

Yes - new tools are an exciting thing. You have probably discovered that a dust collector is a must. The novelty of all the saw dust will wear off fast when you're coughing up saw dust all day. The dado blade will be a great purchase. Depending on the power of your saw, you may just want to go with a 6 inch. Mine has served me well and the smaller size keeps it moving. And the ear protection - a must, especially for the router. Good Luck!

Stefan

Wade,

Besides protecting your eyes and ears (always a good thing), make sure you get something to protect your lungs! Wood dust can really take its toll and not just by irritating the nose and sinuses. A good, comfortable (so you'll wear it) respirator can be a life saver! Have fun making dust, Dave
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Wade Samuelson]. I used my table saw some when resurfacing a bench, but that's about it. Sounds Great Wade,
    Welcome to the world of dust eaters. Please tell me about this procedure. I can jump to some conclusions?
    Oh yes and the obligatory pix please.
    I second the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Welcome to the world of woodworking! You are right about the sawdust...but give it a few days and you will realize how much really fine stuff is in the air when you begin to see everything in the shop coated with it...not just the floor! As for chips...just wait til you start dimensioning lumber with the jointer and planer or turning with a lathe! You can bury yourself and everything in your shop in short order.

Have fun and play safe!

I'll second the mask idea...you'll breathe easier down the road. Congrats on the new shop and tools...Tyler has it right...better get us pics fast!

Wade
    Welcome to the world of woodworking. From your coments, I wouls say you need to think about a dust collector.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I know NOONE has said it yet, but the primary lesson learned should be listed as: "The most important power tool in the shop is a good, quality dust collection system." ALthough the obvious benefit is a cleaner shop, themost important reason for this is your own continued good health.

And congratulations on the initation of your new shop and woodworking activities!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wade....welcome to the clan.....we will help eliminate the worldwide shortage on sawdust and wood chips! I find few things more satisfying than woodworking. Seriously though.....read those manuals carefully! Routers, saws etc. are tools that can become dangerous toys! Read and understant how to use them safely! Short term safety involves keeps one's body in one piece without stitches etc.....wear that safety equipment........safety glasses......use those safety devices on your saw...use push sticks etc.! Long term safety issues are the ones that just "creep up on you" .....one day you wake up totally deaf.....coughing up woodfiller for your next project.....wear those ear plugs, ear muffs, respirator and use dc! Enjoy!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now, I can't ever imagine the presence of sawdust losing its charm and appeal. But, I once said the same thing about fish slime, shrimp oil, and egg cure. None of which are particularly endearing to me now (well, fish slime is still pretty cool). So, dust collection has been added to my Wish List. It's going to be awhile before it becomes a reality. My budget is tapped out after acquiring all my power tools and buying materials to refurbish my shop. The worst part is that I haven't even bought any clamps yet!! Or chisels!

Has anybody else noticed that this is not the cheapest of hobbies?!

I'll post a pic of my shop tonight.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Samuelson
    The worst part is that I haven't even bought any clamps yet!! Or chisels!

Has anybody else noticed that this is not the cheapest of hobbies?!
    You're telling me! And it never seems to end with the ability to upgrade. I'm about two years into it and I still don't have all the basics. Of course the list of "basics" keeps expanding.

Show me a cheap hobby and I'll show you how "Star Trek" transporter technology works! When you get into ANYTHING, the money really starts flowing...outta your wallet!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.