Thread: Shop Lighting

Shop Lighting

I'm finally installing adequate lighting in my shop. The plan is to use the fluorescent T8 strip lights available at both the blue and orange Borg which are labeled "commercial lighting". I'm using a combination of the tandem 8' strips and 4' strips (all using 4' tubes). Virtually the same product is available at both Home Depot and Lowe's for exactly the same price (different manufacturers). Is there a reason to go with one store's product over the other?

I have T8s from each. I found the ones from HD a little easier to install, the end caps of the Lowes model were a pain to deal with. The HD ones were also slightly thinner by maybe 1/2".

Same experience here. The Lithonia Lighting fixtures from HD were easier to deal with. The (MFG forgotten) from Lowes didn't "click" together and while trying to reassemble were quite wiggly. This is a pain when on a ladder trying to get these things installed...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I haven't tried the Lowe's versions, but I have 4 of the 8' and 5 of the 4' versions of the Lithonia's in my shop and have been pleased with their performance. I've had these for about 2-2 1/2 years now. I still need 2 more 8' and 3 more 4' to be complete. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Sean,

My shop is 30' x 24' with 10' ceilings. Based on article written by a fellow Creeker published in FWW, I installed 11 8' - (4 4' T-8 bulbs/) fixtures . These were bought at HD and were about $49 each IIRC. They have worked flawlessly for the past 2 years.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I replaced 17 T-8 8' footers and 2 4'footers a couple years back.

Bought from HD.

Fixtures went together with no issues.

Blog Entries
    My HD didn't have any in the $17 to $18 price range of my Lowe's so I got the Lowe's ones. They have the pull chain in between the lamps as opposed to on the end or not at all like what my HD offers.

I do agree that getting the lamps in is a little bit of a pain on the first couple. Once you get used to it, they're not bad for being really cheap. I have been running three fixtures of this model for several years. Once they proved themselves worthy I got a dozen more for a total of 15 in my 20 x 30 shop. I did get the lamps at HD as Lowe's doesn't offer the CRI and Temp I like in contractor packs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the input. Since there's no price difference I'll go with the HD version.

I bought all my fixtures from an electrical supply house. Basicly the same price on fixtures but the bulbs were less than half price of HD or Lowes!

Last time I checked my electrical supply did not carry T8 fixtures or bulbs. They did have a bunch of T12s they wanted to sell at a reasonable price so I bought $550 worth of T12s. Wish I had gone to the Borg and bought T8 fixtures, the buzz is driving me bonkers. Don't have a problem with the cold because I keep my shop at around 50 degrees during the cold season.
    David B

Smile

Bought all my fixtures and bulbs at HD last year. Asked to see the manager and if he would give me a break for buying all at once. Got 10% off. better than nothing. Purchased 24 0r 26 4 footers.

John

Just a note. I ordered all my bulbs from businesslights.com Seems like with shipping, they came out to 2.62 per bulb in a case of 25. When I get the remaining fixtures, I'll need some more, as I used 22 of the 25. The brand I got is Ushio, made in Germany. It was the best price I could find on the bulb ratings I wanted, and I've not been disappointed in their performance. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    I'm finally installing adequate lighting in my shop. The plan is to use the fluorescent T8 strip lights available at both the blue and orange Borg which are labeled "commercial lighting". I'm using a combination of the tandem 8' strips and 4' strips (all using 4' tubes). Virtually the same product is available at both Home Depot and Lowe's for exactly the same price (different manufacturers). Is there a reason to go with one store's product over the other?
    I purchased "American Flouresent" (I believe) from Lowes T-8s. I paid to have them installed.
    The first five minutes (warm weather) after I turned them on I called my contracter,
    paid him to take them down, and paid him to install the more expensive Lithonia
    (absolutly no noise) Lowes took their products back with no questions-----not even why.