Thread: Turning a pedestal

Turning a pedestal

New article posted for those who are interested.

Turning a Pedestal

Hope you enjoy.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Thank you Neal!! That is a great article! I'd like to print it off for reference, I hope that's okay with you.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Neal thanks for sharing. That is a wonderful article and will probably use your idea's and create one of my own.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

great areticle!

I too sayThanks for posting. very useful.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Pretty darn neat!

Neal, Very nice little tutorial with great photos! I need to get some pedestals done for a few things and this will inspire me!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Good job Neal. Thanks for posting this.
    Richard in Wimberley

Pedestal Turning

Great tutorial Neal. I've turned a fair number of pedestals but not many that are one piece. I've never tried using an expanding chuck method as you have. It obviously works well.

I have a question...do you do anything to the bottom beyond what we see in the pics?

I've found that getting good proportions on finials and pedestals can be very touchy. Are there some "rules" that you use?

Wally

thanks for posting this. If I ever master HF's, I will need something to put them on.

Thanks all! I appreciate the kind words.

Wally, interesting that you ask about working the bottom of the base. I didn't mention but I actually do sand it immediately after step 4 (before flipping it over for step 5). That's it's final state other than a signature. I typically don't worry about putting finish on the bottom.

You're also dead-on about good proportions. I have no rules other than working by eye. It's still something I struggle with. Sometimes they come out right and sometimes not. I wasn't very satisfied with the proportions on this piece. The pedestal could have been a 1/2" or so shorter.

I do study the work of Cindy and that Keith guy (). They know how to get proportions right every time.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Neal - great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out step by step! Love the photos! Sure were able to get crisp focus! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.

Great article

What an inspiring article and the photos are great! I really like your designs and choices of contrasting woods.
    I'm just thankful it held.

Awesome Tutorial Neal. I have a HF roughed out and had been considering putting it on a pedestal. This gives me a little more courage to attempt it. Thanks

Kirk
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert