View Poll Results: Highest grit sandpaper used on project?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll

1 4.00%

5 20.00%
  • 300-400

7 28.00%
  • 400-600

4 16.00%
  • 600+

8 32.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linseed oil shelf life?

Linseed oil shelf life?

I have an old can of boiled linseed oil, perhaps 3 years old? Does this stuff go bad, or is it ok to use for my current project? My typical finish is 1/3 turpentine, 1/3 linseed oil, 1/3 varnish mixed well. Can use in a non-"clean room" environ, and wet sanding makes slurry to fill pores of red-oak type porous woods.
    Cheers

Is this a poll or a question, or a poll and a question? Seems they are not related.

You and I will go bad before the BLO goes bad.

Sandpaper grit depends. "Depends" is not a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. Opalko View Post
    I have an old can of boiled linseed oil, perhaps 3 years old? Does this stuff go bad, or is it ok to use for my current project?
    You will know it's gone bad when it hardens into a little ball in the bottom of the can.

I just finished up a can of BLO that I bought in 1972!! As you can see, I have not been a "heavy user" in the past!! My guess is the shelf life is somewhat in excess of 37 years?????

Hey John,

I too have an old can of BLO; I don't use it, because it has LEAD as the metal drier!
    They quit using in ~ 1978.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott, maybe it is the nerve damage from the lead poisoning that keeps me from doing really good joints in my woodworking! Has to be some reason beyond lack of skill!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I just finished up a can of BLO that I bought in 1972!! As you can see, I have not been a "heavy user" in the past!! My guess is the shelf life is somewhat in excess of 37 years?????
    You got me beat John! I just finished a can that I bought in 1986.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You got me beat John! I just finished a can that I bought in 1986.
    Apparently you have escaped the lead poisoning problem! I bought my first can when I started building longrifles. That was the finish I used - 5-7 coats of hand rubbed, and rubbed, and rubbed BLO! Then wax.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Apparently you have escaped the lead poisoning problem! I bought my first can when I started building longrifles. That was the finish I used - 5-7 coats of hand rubbed, and rubbed, and rubbed BLO! Then wax.

You forgot to mention "RUBBED"....
    Ken

What size cans do you guys buy? I'm on my second gallon in 9 years and I'm just a hobbiest.

Stephen, keep in mind that until recently, I was a wipe on poly guy!! Still like the stuff, notwithstanding all the negative press

BLO has only caught my attention since joining and surfing the creek. I have nearly used my second quart in the last 2-3 months.

My first quart I bought in 1986 to help freshen an oil painting.
    Ken

I go thru a gallon or so every year I sand and oil all wood handles: hoes, rakes, shovels, wheel barrel... some times use as a wood finish but mostly as a wood protector.

Old painter trick was to mix blo 50-50 with turps then coat all exterior trim wait 2 weeks and then prime and paint with oil base, the paint never peeled

14. Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    Hey John,

I too have an old can of BLO; I don't use it, because it has LEAD as the metal drier!
    They quit using in ~ 1978.
    Well maybe you shouldn't use it for cutting boards, chopsticks, and salad bowls but the lead in the dryer is insignificant Go ahead and use it.

I just finished off a can that I bought while in high school. I graduated in 1965! The price tag on the can (one quart) was 79 cents plus, I used it to freshen up a batch of beeswax, BLO, turpentine mix from the same time frame. My neighbor back then raised bees and GAVE me a pound of beeswax for the mix. Wish he was still around!