You would think with a half done 15ft. sailboat in the shop and a half done 18ft. kayak hangin' from the rafters, I would have left well enough alone. Shoot no - the wife is out of town and look what followed me home.

IMGP1740.JPG

I'm told it's a William Atkin design built in 1936. In it's day it won the Chicago-Mac race in it's class. It's been sitting in this spot for five years and is in pretty bad shape. I don't really know at this point if it can be recovered, but I'm going to give it my best. This is the kind of project I've always wanted and couldn't pass this up. It's 27" on deck and has a beam of about 9'3".

If anyone has any information on this design, I'd really appreciate it.

The engine,

IMGP1731.JPG

is a flat head four banger gas powered. I don't know what make as I couldn't find any markings. Any info, again, would be appreciated.

As you can see there are some missing planks.

Port Missing Planks.JPG Starboard Missing Planks.JPG

The other planks around this area are in pretty good shape. There has been a repair to that part of the keel and I think the planks were taken off for that repair. We may be able to find the missing planks and that would be a plus.

The boat is at the Maritime Heritage Alliance in Traverse City, MI. They do a lot of work, all volunteer, on old wooden boats. They restored some beauties. They've told me they may still have the mast also. The mast is placed quite forward on the boat. Other than that, I don't know much about the rig.

Well, I have to go make plans to move the boat behind my shop. This will be a multi-year project and I'll have to get it protected before I start to work on it.

John