Thread: HVLP which one?

HVLP which one?

I am needing to upgrade my finishing abilities and would like to get an HVLP gun that will shoot lacquer. I can't afford a good system because I will just be spraying the occasional cabinet or table. Any recommendations?

Make your own ?

Years ago I made my own power section by making a plywood outer box and going to grainger to get a small 3 stage turbine blower motor. I beleive this cost about $100.00. then I bought the hose and the Apollo Gun for the system that I have . it compared to a $600.00 Appolo system at the time. if you were close to Illinois I would lend you mine whren you needed one.
    here is a Turbine on ebay for .999 so far this is the part I bought from granger and made a box for it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apollo-Paint-Spr...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Stoffels; 04-02-2009 at 7:44 AM.

Let me get this straight. An hvlp sprayer is just an variable speed fan into a box? Of course filters and I guess some have a heating unit. Does a 4 stage sprayer just have 4 speeds? I wonder because I've never had one apart and have never looked at one closely. I have built all kinds of equipment and know where to get stainless sheet stock at a reasonable price. It would be easy for me to weld up a stainless box and mount a variable speed blower with controls and such.

Thanks for the inspiration. I will look into the idea more closely.

Well, I did a little on-line looking and I understand now that the stages refers to the # of compressive sections in the blower. Kind of like how a jet engine works. I haven't found anything cheap yet I just might have to find someone who has one and is willing to take the cover off. I am from the do-it-yourself school. I might take me a while to get something right but I'm retired and have time.

The Earlex 5000 is regarded well as a diy HVLP system.

Personally, I have a Woodcraft cheap sprayer that I got on clearance for about $80. Rockler and HF have them too. It sprays shellac, waterbased lacquer very well. It's not that flexible, but so far it's been decent for me.

If you have a compressor you can get a decent HVLP gravity feed gun for about $50.00
    Thank You
    Ed

I would have to get a new water purge and filter for my compressor as well as new lines. I oiled the hard lines and hoses in my shop because I run a lot of die grinders. I might do that anyway, regardless as to whether or not I get a HVLP sprayer.

Accuspray is a good HVLP setup but so is the Fuji HVLP setup, 3 stage turbine setup. Do your homework. You can buy many guns and such, but spend the money once and you'll be glad you did. Check with Jeff Jewitt on Homestead Finishing. I've used a lot of HVLP conversion guns and the cheap guns only last a short time. Buy once and use for life is what I've found through experience.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    The Earlex 5000 is regarded well as a diy HVLP system.

Personally, I have a Woodcraft cheap sprayer that I got on clearance for about $80. Rockler and HF have them too. It sprays shellac, waterbased lacquer very well. It's not that flexible, but so far it's been decent for me.
    I also have that same budget HVLP sprayer bought from Harbor Freight and it is awesome for the money. I couldn't and can't afford a higher priced unit and this works beautifully. Much, much better then using a brush and 100 times faster. I agree with Dennis that it is best to buy once but if you don't have the money you just don't have it. The unit I have got great reviews and until I can afford a better unit it will more then suffice.

I have a few different HVLP guns and a Lex Aire 3 stage turbine unit. I have a 200 dollar gravity feed Devilbis HVLP which is designed for compressed air use. I have shot latex with it but it only puts about 50% of the material on the item to be sprayed, which is common for compressed air units, I recently accuired a Sata which some consider the best guns made, it too wastes material. I have the Appolo gun for the Lex Aire unit, but it needs some parts to get it up and running, I am told the lex Aire or any turbine unit for that matter will put more product on the item to be sprayed than will the HVLP units made for compressed air. Some one here posted a link to a site that had the most information I have found yet demystifying HVLP systems. I should have saved it, it was a bit long but everything you need to know was in there. Maybe some one here will post the link for us again?

11. I've got the Fuji Q4 and like it a lot. It's quieter than a household vacuum cleaner and the gravity feed gun is real easy to use.

Bought it from Roger at Phelps refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Nayar View Post
    I've got the Fuji Q4 and like it a lot. It's quieter than a household vacuum cleaner and the gravity feed gun is real easy to use.

Bought it from Roger at Phelps refinishing.

what kind of gravity feed gun did you get? is it the one that comes with the fuji or is it a different brand?

Thanks

I just purchased a Fuji system. It works ok but for the same money, I wished I had brought a air compressor, a 2 stage filter, a nice Astro spray gun, and some copper pipe and fittings for air plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by clinton carr View Post
    I just purchased a Fuji system. It works ok but for the same money, I wished I had brought a air compressor, a 2 stage filter, a nice Astro spray gun, and some copper pipe and fittings for air plumbing.
    what is it that you think it is missing?. have you tried a setup using the fuji and the compressor+ all the extra accessories you mentioned side by side?

Are you saying this because the fuji is not for all day use?

Thanks