Thread: Make or Buy Acrylic Desk Set?

Make or Buy Acrylic Desk Set?

Ey there,

I am trying to figure out how to make these acrylic awards. I was told there might be a few of them if they come out OK (maybe 80pcs). If anyone knows were I can buy them even better.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't seen that set but you can get the components and make them yourself ---if you can get the seal that's in the center.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

were do you get the acrylic from?

Many local plastic distributors can cut and polish that for your.

I use a company called ACI Plastics.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Classic Medallics is where I get the inserts and wreaths. (JDS handles wreaths and some inserts, I usually get the dye- sub discs or laserable metals if needed)

If they don't hve the ones instock that you need they will manufacture them for you (not cheap though)

The wreaths typically take a 2" insert and pre-cut dye-sub discs are readily available from a variety of distibutors.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Arturo What is the size of the piece?
    Zeev Goldin Engraving solutions

Hopefully this helps.

The size of the Acrylic is 4"x8".
    It slopes from 1-1/4" thick in the back to 3/4" in the front.

I'll probably be sending this out when I find someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Villegas View Post
    The size of the Acrylic is 4"x8".
    It slopes from 1-1/4" thick in the back to 3/4" in the front.

I'll probably be sending this out when I find someone.
    Hi Arturo,

I could machine the slope but it would still need some hand sanding after machining as it will require a large diameter cutter. I have a flat belt sander but not sure how well acrylic will sand with very fine paper as it would have to be done dry.

It would then need flame polishing after final sanding and I do not have a flame polisher.

Looking at the pic, the front edge appears to be perpendicular to the top. The rear edge appears to have been machined too as it is more perpendicular to the base. They probably did that so that an original finished surface was at the top for best presentation. Maybe no flame polishing need for the base???
    Last edited by Dave Johnson29; 03-13-2009 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    It would then need flame polishing after final sanding and I do not have a flame polisher.
    In about a month around 15 of us will, thanks to Jack
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    In about a month around 15 of us will, thanks to Jack
    Let's hope it is that quick. I just checked with the guy to see where we stand and he said they were very busy and he would let me know the completion data ASAP. I might need to send you to China Dan, you know just to oversee the factory for a week or two to make sure they stay on task.
    Jack

You will struggle to make that out of acrylic - buy em ready made.
    The only real cost effective way of making em yourself is to cast em in water clear resin if you MUST DIY.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Hi Arturo,

I could machine the slope but it would still need some hand sanding after machining as it will require a large diameter cutter. I have a flat belt sander but not sure how well acrylic will sand with very fine paper as it would have to be done dry.

Looking at the pic, the front edge appears to be perpendicular to the top. The rear edge appears to have been machined too as it is more perpendicular to the base. They probably did that so that an original finished surface was at the top for best presentation. Maybe no flame polishing need for the base???

Well the whole thing is pretty clean looking(even the bottom). I dont really have an idea when it comes to producing any piece of acrylic. It seems you guys are pretty handy when it comes to manufacturing these pieces. By any chance how much do you think (ballpark fugure) something like this would cost me if I was to start from scratch (make the cast) and end up with a slick finish?

Has anyone ever made something from scratch? Just wondering.

Arturo

Rodney is 100% correct. Buy them ready made. Making these yourself will probably produce less than minimum wage income.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    Let's hope it is that quick. I just checked with the guy to see where we stand and he said they were very busy and he would let me know the completion data ASAP. I might need to send you to China Dan, you know just to oversee the factory for a week or two to make sure they stay on task.
    Unfortunately, that's one of the disadvantages to working with the Chinese companies... they work on their own schedule, and since they already have your money, there's no incentive to speed things up (unless business is really slow and they think you'll be a large repeat customer).

Another big disadvantage is the quality control is often nonexistent... if you don't like what they did for you, they'll be happy to do it again... if you pay them again. I tried having some flex PCBs made a few years back. Not only was the quality poor, they changed my design! How stupid (or removed from reality) do you have to be to change a customer's design?!

Anyway, I'm in no rush, Jack, just keeping it in the back of my mind, as well as trying to think of projects I can use it on.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5