Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first chuck

My first chuck

I've made a few bowls, but I always just glue my stock to a faceplate. I would like to start turning hollow forms and bowls with a little more shape. I have no idea what kind of chuck i need/want so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a full size Craftsman variable speed lathe, and price is defiantly a factor. Any suggestions?

Look at Talon, SN2, or Vicmark

Cheaper option is Barracuda2
    Dario

I have seven chucks right now, two Strongholds, two Talons, the Barracuda II, the IV, and the wee little one. In the past I have owned the Nova scroll and the Oneway Scroll. The best bang for your buck and the most useful size for your lathe would be the Barracuda II. For less money that the Talon, you will get the chuck and just about all the jaws that will go with it.

Bill

Stay away from "budget" chucks...

Amazon sells the barracudas pretty cheap. I got mine there and love it.

Go for the talon... I love mine. Jimmy Clewes especially likes the screw that goes with it... won't bend like some! It isn't too big or too small. A pretty versatile chuck!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

A lot of people will tell you to stay away from budget chucks, but if you are on a tight budget, a budget chuck is better than no chuck. I got three of the budget chucks from PSI for about the same price as one of the "good" ones. That way I can keep three different jaws on them each one and don't have to mess with all them little allen screws everytime I want to change jaws. They work great for me. Never had a problem with them. Run true, hold tight. Your choice, but dont be afraid of the cheaper chucks if money is a problem. If it's not a problem, then by all means, get the good ones.

Rich

Wow, thanks for all the quick and informative replies.

I see the Talon for $210 at amazon.com but can't seem to fond the Barracuda II. Anyone have a link?

www.pennstateind.com will get you there. There are several resellers, but I do not know who they are specifically.

Bill

I just got the Barracuda II fir X Mas. I think so far it works great.

Chuck

I like my Barracuda II also and love my Vicmarc 100. By the way the Vicmarc jaws will fit my $99 chuck from Grizzly. It is a decent chuck for that money.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

In my opinion, a "budget chuck" would be something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1082

If this is what is meant by the term then I agree. Don't even think about it.

The already mentioned Barracuda2, however, is a very good "budget chuck". It's one of the best bangs-for-the-buck because it comes with a full set of jaws. Based on those who own it the quality seems to be very good.

The best price I know of on the PSI Barracuda2 is thru Amazon. Free shipping too.
    http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Just ordered the Barracuda II from amazon. They sell PSI stuff cheaper than pennstateind.com!!!??? Thank you everyone so much for all the help. I'll be sure to post pics when I make something worthy. Which reminds me, I got a 10" long 3" diameter Banksia pod that I have no idea what to do with. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Briggs
    I got a 10" long 3" diameter Banksia pod that I have no idea what to do with. Any suggestions?
    Yes, send it to me! Glad to help.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!

Chucks

I have the Baracuda and have wore one out in a few months. I have pictures of it on my web site. PSI did replace it. I like the chuck and have bought a second one, but also own a Talon and feel it is a smoother operating chuck.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com