Thread: Bessey Tradesman - 2k or wood handles

Bessey Tradesman - 2k or wood handles

I'm ready to get the 30 piece Bessey set of tradesman clamps, but it appears they only have the set with the wood handles vs. the newer "2k" ones. I've found a source that has the tradesman individual clamps w/ the 2k handles, but runs about $100 more for the equivalent set of clamps. I have a few of the K-bodies with the 2k handles and like 'em, but don't know if it's worth some extra bucks.

Opinions please!

Anyone know of a source that has the set with the 3k handles? Amazon has it with the wood handles for $320.

Thanks.
    Don
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

My opinion is that you can buy more clamps with an extra hundred dollars, or you could spend it on a softer handle which does what exactly???
    I've got Bessey's, Jorgies, and Wetzler clamps in my shop and not a rubber handle to be found.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    My opinion is that you can buy more clamps with an extra hundred dollars, or you could spend it on a softer handle which does what exactly???
    I've got Bessey's, Jorgies, and Wetzler clamps in my shop and not a rubber handle to be found.
    good luck,
    JeffD
    Point well taken! ...... but they look so purty! ..... easily worth a hundred bux!!!!! (NOT)
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

If you have wrist or hand medical problems, the synthetic handles are much easier to turn. I returned wood handled clamps and bought the same with the new handles for $5 more per clamp for this reason. But for looks...no, unless you never use clamps and they are for decoration only. Thought perhaps that shrink tubing might do the same thing....if I could find shrink tubing that large. And then there are synthetic tubular products that might work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    If you have wrist or hand medical problems, the synthetic handles are much easier to turn. I returned wood handled clamps and bought the same with the new handles for $5 more per clamp for this reason. But for looks...no, unless you never use clamps and they are for decoration only. Thought perhaps that shrink tubing might do the same thing....if I could find shrink tubing that large. And then there are synthetic tubular products that might work too.
    Very good point especially for us old f#*ts.Clifford

I would order the original ones if it was me. Wait, I did. I own them and they are great. I find I use the 12" and smaller ones the most. If you really like the new handels just buy a few more new ones of the ones you use the most. It is a ton of clamps - get your clamp rack ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I would order the original ones if it was me. Wait, I did. I own them and they are great. I find I use the 12" and smaller ones the most. If you really like the new handels just buy a few more new ones of the ones you use the most. It is a ton of clamps - get your clamp rack ready.

To tell you the truth, it wasn't even a thought until I saw that Hartville Tool had them with the 2k handles. I've been fine with the wood ones, but the K's with the 2k's have been nice. I also do notice that it is somewhat easier to use the 2k handles

I've got a number of the older wood-handled K-bodies and recently decided to get a few more. I checked around the WEB and found the best deal at Woodcraft. I didn't even know that there were new handles, but the ones I ordered came with them. Quite frankly, I consider the new handles a major improvement and wish all my older ones had them. When putting together my rail and style doors I like to get the joint quite tight, but my hand always slips on the old handles, so I've resorted to using a gripping pad. But with the new handles there is no slipping -- no pad needed.

Mike,
    I like your idea of using T-track for your clamp rack to allow flexibility for different types/thicknesses of clamps.

I own that set.

Consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky if you get all the clamps you pay for. They ship all 30 clamps in two kleenex boxes wrapped in second-rate painter's tape.

I was given the choice of sending all the clamps back and hoping they got it right, or getting an additional 20% refunded on my card.

I took the cash, and bought replacements for the two 12" clamps that fell out of the kleenex box.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Update on Bessey's 2k handles

Well, I bit the bullet and order about 1/2 of the "set" Bessey has from Hartville Tool with the 2k handles ......... BOY, am I glad I did ....... perhaps it is a personal preference, but I've just used them a few times and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could trade in all my wood handled ones for these; and, I wish the smaller "LM" series had these handle on them. So much easier to tighten, especially if they are in a constrained space. Easy on the hands. Oh, and did I mention, they're "prettier"?

Thanks for others input.

Since this is a Bessie clamp thread - The new K bodys are going to be very nice. New modular option where you can build you own clamps pretty much by buying the bars and heads seperately or add to the exisitng new clamps you have is a cool new idea. Movable front head is one new option.