Thread: Fine carpentry....

Fine carpentry....

10 face cords (3-1/3 standard cords for those of you in civilized places) of firewood was dumped in my yard today for use in the 2025-26 heating season. I wanted to use my secondhand folding aluminum ramp so I could push the wheelbarrow up into the woodshed. I couldn't run the ramp straight because the porch of the house is too close, so I had to do some 'fine' carpentry, in the sense of the word meaning tenuous or barely there. I used one piece of firewood for the leg, one 3' or so leftover piece of rough cut 2x4, and one OSB subfloor scrap, plus about 7 deck screws. I only made one cut, on the 2x4, but had to make it twice since the angle was initially too obtuse. I'll save the 2x4/OSB assembly for later use but will get a different piece of firewood for the leg next time, as this one will have been burned by then, most likely. I sometimes take a silly pride in making what I need using the least time, effort and money that I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lot of extra steps there. I would have done it Egyptian style. Made a ramp of stacked firewood and laid the plywood on top. Even make the ramp curved.
    BilLD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I sometimes take a silly pride in making what I need using the least time, effort and money that I can.
    You are not alone in this.

My trouble is setting them aside and then finding them years later and trying to figure for what purpose it was made.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Unless you aren't planning to get more firewood delivered next year, why not build a more substantial platform? Hopefully, your fine carpentry won't result in repair work on you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You are not alone in this.

My trouble is setting them aside and then finding them years later and trying to figure for what purpose it was made.

jtk
    Agreed, you're not alone, BTDT.
    Sometimes those "temporary" builds seem to last years and years.